New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbpro Wont Erase Or Format Ext Hd ????

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PLUMMER

PLUMMER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8

Hi, new here and a pre apology if this is in the wrong section.

Simpletech 320 ext HD, I want to be able to download anything from a PC or my new MAC Book Pro. Included directions said I would need to format the EXT HD in FAT 32 to be able to use with both OS'. THing is the mac cannot do this, or more correctly something I assume in the HD is preventing the action. I keep getting a message " cannot undock device" and another similar cannot unhook device ???? I went to format in MS-DOS/ FAT 32 and tried partiioning also. It again gave the same errors. It wont even partition. I am sure there is something I am doing wrong as usual, because the more I use this Mac the more I realize how much I was missing with the old PC. 1 month old....... takes some getting used to. ......I have read several threads on topics very similar to this but nothing that I was able to directly use in my situation.

Thanks in advance for any info or link to lead the blind........
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Try unplugging the USB cord (from both ends if possible) and giving it a nice shake (honestly, I had this same problem and that fixed the problem for me) see if you can eject the HDD before you unplug it, if not than just yank the cord.
QUOTE Thanks
billydilly

billydilly is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Not a mac: Windows XP, Ubunu 8:04 2GB's RAM Intel petuimu 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vindicat3d View Post
see if you can eject the HDD before you unplug it, if not than just yank the cord.
DONT YANK it won't help just undo it normally
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

Here if you do it this way it's the best for what you want, just format it using NTFS and then install MacFuse:

Quote:
NTFS is the modern default standard on PCs. Macs can read files off NTFS but not write to them. A Mac can - however write to NTFS drives if you install free Software called MacFuse

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorgan1689 View Post
Here if you do it this way it's the best for what you want, just format it using NTFS and then install MacFuse:
I don't think he can reformat it into any format, i had the same problem as him, it is not specific to the format.
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

Oh, I have no idea then, sorry

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
PLUMMER

PLUMMER is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 DUO,8GB,G4SE 8600GT 256,leopard 10.5.8

Thanks for the replies and quick. I am still getting a message " cannot unmount " so I am looking into other avenues to formating or just returning this cheap simpletech and getting the Seagate that did work when we tested it. Maybe no one else ran into this yet.
QUOTE Thanks
MacKat

MacKat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Whitebook 2.2, 4gb RAM, 200gb 7200RPM HD

It sounds like there is some pre-installed partition on the hard drive that has security settings enabled.
If you have access to a Windoze box, clearing all partitions on it and leaving it as free space, then plug it into your Mac and see if it will partition and format that way.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

In Disc Utility click the "unmount" button at the top and see if you can manually unmount the drive. If so, format away. If not, MacKat is probably right.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Checked FedEx - 15" 2.4 MBP is on the truck, delivery expected today | Transfering profiles between users...? »