New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I've had my Mac 7 months... now I want to destroy my Dell

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CuriousCat

CuriousCat is on a distinguished road

Hi all. I love my MBP and would never think of going back to the dell piece of junk I once had. I have a question, though. I no longer use my dell laptop, but it has some important info on it (even though it doesn't work well at all....is extremely slow and crappy). I don't really have plans to sell it, and I don't want to just 'throw it away' because I fear someone could retrieve information on it if they really wanted to. I have absolutely no use for the computer. What do I do with it? Destroy it? How would I delete the files on it? or clean sweep the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
The Skeptik

The Skeptik is an unknown at this point

you should remove the hard drive and kickbox it.
QUOTE Thanks
CuriousCat

that's it? only the hard drive? I am not very computer savvy... haha
QUOTE Thanks
srmorris2

srmorris2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2 Ghz 2GB Ram 120 GB HD

I agree with skeptik and just destroy it. just make sure to get the information you need out of it first.

-Scuba Steve-
QUOTE Thanks
CuriousCat

ok. this will be fun!
QUOTE Thanks
The Skeptik

The Skeptik is an unknown at this point

keep the ram. you never know when that will come in handy.
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Try Kill Disk to erase your HDD.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
Choco

Choco is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2.2ghz dual core, 8600gt 128mb, 120gig hd, 2 gig ram

try selling it, make a few bucks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What model Dell Laptop is it? Might be worth selling. $$$ is $$$ after all!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

I'd reformat the drive and see if I couldn't sell it. Chances are you're going to sell that old, slow machine to someone who doesn't know how nor is interested in attempting to retrieve that sensitive information.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are always people around that could use a computer, but just can't afford one. Ask around. I don't have the room nor the desire to keep all my old systems, so I have always been able to find someone deserving of them. While old and dead to me, it's still new and exciting to someone.

You can use a program to write over your old data if it's that sensitive. Most of mine never had anything on them that I was really worried about. I just blow it away. Re-partition, re-format and re-install the OS. Then I'll spend a little time installing the must have software on it - you know Adobe (or Fox-it reader), flash, Open Office....

Someone will get a lot of enjoyment out of something that is basically trash to you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Destroying it would be a waste. I'd rather you give it free/sell it cheaply to someone who needs that Dell for work and stuff.

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

I've taken old systems to Goodwill. They are usually quite happy to take them and it's a tax write off for the current value of the machine if you live in the US.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
ViriiGuy

ViriiGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd

Do like I do, I run a zero fill utility on the hard drives.. it is a much hardier formatting tool, do a google search for zero fill boot disk.. Then I stock pile the old computers until I find someone that needs it. The area I live in is fairly rural and poor, so I give out as many computers and laptops as I can to school kids and families trying to get on their feet. Or mail it to me and I will make sure a family in need gets it.

Randy
QUOTE Thanks
elma

elma is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G4 1.25Ghz Powerbook G4 1.67

I know how you feel, but what a waste.

Either remove the HD replace it and sell on ebay.
You can then make the old HD into an external one by buying a case for it.

Give it to someone you trust with you're files. Mine went to my mother.

Or remove the HD and give it to a needy cause, but they have to replace the HD themselves.

Don't just trash it.

I really do know how you feel though, by the time I bought my Mac I'd begun to punch my desktop and my laptop in frustration.
They have both been rehomed with persons who appreciate them now though and I'm happy about that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macintosh Solutions LTD? | Love My MacBook Pro »