New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Showing Disks on my Desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Hi,

I have 2 Leopard notebooks a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. My MacBook displays my AirPort Disks and iDisk on my desktop so it's easy to access but my MacBook Pro doesn't.

Is there a setting anywhere that I can set that will display my wirelessly (not sure if that's a word or not) attached hard drives on my desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Finder Preferences - check Connected Servers maybe?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

Finder -> Preferences -> General, under there you just check Connected Servers and they'll show up on the desktop!

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
amardilo

amardilo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Problem solved thanks guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Buds

Buds is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Too many to specify! :)

Along these same lines, the two network drives I connect to show their contents upon startup. I've checked the hide boxes inside Login Items, but they still appear on boot. Is there anyway to stop this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Same place as listed above, only take the check out of Connected Servers in your case.

QUOTE Thanks
Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Same place as listed above, only take the check out of Connected Servers in your case.
I think I did a poor job of explaining the issue. I want the icons to show up on the desktop, but I don't want the drives to automatically open up in a finder window when OS X loads.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If you've added them to the Login items, delete them from there.
You do not need them there for the icons to show up on the desktop, nor for them to be available in Finder.

Have never added a drive to my Login items, so am not personally aware of exactly what occurs nor the diferences between hide being checked or not. But I do have access to all the computers/drives on the network with out it.

QUOTE Thanks
Buds

But if I remove them from the login items then they won't automatically mount upon login. I'll have to "browse" to them everytime.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Who says they won't mount - my external drives mount on every boot, on both of my Macs - and I have never had them listed in my login items.

QUOTE Thanks
Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Who says they won't mount - my external drives mount on every boot, on both of my Macs - and I have never had them listed in my login items.
I tried it. When I removed the drives from the Login Items, they did not appear on my desktop upon login (even though Connected Servers is checked). These are network drives, not external HDs
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine + Hard drives | I don't want my screen to get dim »