New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

PC or Mac!? I can't decide!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

I am purchasing a new computer soon, it will be a laptop, i will be using it pretty much every day. Some work based stuff but mostly gaming in the evening and weekends. I will be buying with the pay over 3 years finance so the computer NEEDS to last that long. I am trying to decide between the following two options:

Mac:

Macbook Pro

Price:£1599

* 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1440 x 900 resolution
* 2GB memory
* 160GB hard drive1
* 8x double-layer SuperDrive
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

Pros: Its a mac and i do enjoy macs! Ive had a macbook for two years now and know they are well built and should physically last the 3 year period.

Cons: Its about £400 more expensive than the PC

PC:

Dell XPS M1530

Price: £1089

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1440 x 900 resolution
* 4GB memory
* 250GB hard drive1
* Fixed Blu Ray 2X Slim Slot-Load Drive, including SW
* NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

Pros: The price is less, blu ray player, allready own a few blu rays and watching them while out of the house would be nice.

Cons: Windows Vista, i have never owned a dell so have no idea how well built they are?

Anyway these are the two options i currently have an im stumped and cant decide, can anyone sway me either way or am i stuck with this bothering me for even longer?

Thanks for any advice folks!
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

If it is primarily a gaming machine... get the windows machine.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaChunks

PapaChunks is on a distinguished road

I would say get the pc. Since you are going to be using it for gaming.

I have a Dell laptop right now and hardware wise, it has never had any problems. Had it for a year. Software tho.... Vista Sucks...

Leave it at that.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Agreed. Providing that you can tolerate Vista, Dell makes a fine and very serviceable notebook (full disclosure: I am a Dell-certified technician and am very biased toward their hardware, having years of experience servicing them).

The XPS M1530 and M1330 are both sweet notebooks and frankly, if I could tolerate Vista on my "daily driver", I'd probably have one (more likely the M1330 as the 1530 is a bit large for my taste).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

Excuse the ignorance, but when ppl say gaming are they talking heavy duty games (such as the ones that take lots of mem, hugely 3D intensive ect)? Aren't quite a lot of games made for both (my father plays civilizations type games on his mac) I play a lot of games, I haven't tried them on my mac yet, but I doubt they are problematic for the mac - course the games I play are more the calibre of Real arcade . Would your games work with Boot Camp or Parallels maybe? Maybe with time even those platforms will improve.

When you are talking of the extra cost of the mac, are you considering the lack of need for virus and firewall. The one thing I've noticed tho with the PC is they are outdated quickly and newer games tend to use the new technology readily and quickly enough at times, it just seems to be MS that is slow in stability. As for Dell, are they willing to give you XP rather than Vista? IMHO Mac has less of a need to be upgraded (and keep thier value) within 3 years but with PC, my guess is that there will definitely be the need. Have you considered refurbished?

What I like about Mac is that it comes with a lot of things that with PC you need to pay for, add on or hunt down (honestly with PC I found myself looking for something - usually a fix - more often or thinking I wish it had X). From my stand point, each OS on PC seems to add more to make it look nice, not run better and then take out compatible features that makes it like the commercial (got a prob with X, buy a new Y) hehe

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
ab30494

ab30494 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
Excuse the ignorance, but when ppl say gaming are they talking heavy duty games (such as the ones that take lots of mem, hugely 3D intensive ect)? Aren't quite a lot of games made for both (my father plays civilizations type games on his mac) I play a lot of games, I haven't tried them on my mac yet, but I doubt they are problematic for the mac - course the games I play are more the calibre of Real arcade . Would your games work with Boot Camp or Parallels maybe? Maybe with time even those platforms will improve.

When you are talking of the extra cost of the mac, are you considering the lack of need for virus and firewall. The one thing I've noticed tho with the PC is they are outdated quickly and newer games tend to use the new technology readily and quickly enough at times, it just seems to be MS that is slow in stability. As for Dell, are they willing to give you XP rather than Vista? IMHO Mac has less of a need to be upgraded (and keep thier value) within 3 years but with PC, my guess is that there will definitely be the need. Have you considered refurbished?

What I like about Mac is that it comes with a lot of things that with PC you need to pay for, add on or hunt down (honestly with PC I found myself looking for something - usually a fix - more often or thinking I wish it had X). From my stand point, each OS on PC seems to add more to make it look nice, not run better and then take out compatible features that makes it like the commercial (got a prob with X, buy a new Y) hehe

ok where do i start. pc's are great for gaming and other items, sure some hardware go outof date fast but must new games work great on cards that ar like 3-4 years old. And windows is very stable, with 10 years with windows i never had any stability probs. and about viruses and spyware . i cant remember since i last had viruss protection and spyware protection enable. i cant bet u $100 that if i scan it now it will find nothing. You just have to use comon sence when using the internet. and only thing i had to fix in the llast 10 years was a broken hdd and a graphics card tha was DOA. there are plenty of free items prob 10 times more for the pc than mac,(spyware free) and unlike mac with pc's u dont have to pay for service packs).

and the only reason pc's supposedly get more viruses is cause more people use windows so thats what viruses are made to attack, im sure if most people use macs mac will get more viruses.

i would defiantly go for the PC.
QUOTE Thanks
EGGO

EGGO is a jewel in the roughEGGO is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).

No question about it, go for the Dell. Great warranty there too (I think they give you three years, that's how it is for their displays). If only it had XP, but other than that, no contest man.

The Visual Portfolio
I hate mac zealots as much as windows/other OS zealots.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab30494 View Post
and unlike mac with pc's u dont have to pay for service packs).
Apparently you are only here to expose your ignorance about the Mac OS. The last "service pack" for Leopard was 10.5.2 and it was free, same as always. If you are considering the 10.4 to 10.5 upgrade to be a "service pack" then you truly are one ignorant individual and know little about the OS.

QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGGO View Post
No question about it, go for the Dell. Great warranty there too (I think they give you three years, that's how it is for their displays). If only it had XP, but other than that, no contest man.
Aye i think i am going to, sad to be leaving my macbook behind but i dropped the blu ray drive off the dell and its even cheaper and the warranty seems good and will last for the life of the computer. I use XP Vista and OSX at work and Vista is my least favourite but i suppose i can put up with it and get by since getting the PC will save me about 700.

Thanks for all the advice folks! and i will still own one mac so im not totally ditching mac land!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

IMHO, my an xbox and a Mac! But then again, my opinion of MS isn't very high these days...

QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergsing View Post
IMHO, my an xbox and a Mac! But then again, my opinion of MS isn't very high these days...

I have had an xbox and i now have a PS3 its great but there are no MMO's out and thats what i used my laptop for playing
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

The XPS line is pretty well built, not quite as nice as a Mac Book Pro but better than most of the junk PCs that you find at B&M stores.

Vista isn't that bad, I prefer it over XP, just make sure you disable UAC since it is just worthless.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I network My Mac & PC | Bit Torrent Client »