New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail question...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

I have a question about mail and the "Smart Mailboxes". I setup a Smart Mailbox, and I see copies of the appropriate stuff in there, but all of these items still show up in my Inbox also. Can I configure it such that these items go straight to the Smart Mailbox and don't remain in my Inbox? Thanks in advance.

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

For that you need to set up a "rule" Go to preferences and then rules. Set a rule that says if "whatever" is in "whatever" field, MOVE the message to "whatever" folder.

Smart mailboxes only contain an alias of whatever is in the main mailbox, not the actual message. This is for organizational purposes.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

So, this means I should simply create a new non-smart Mailbox of the same name as the "Smart" Mailbox for filing these messages? Then follow your guidelines for the rules... Correct?

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

The message MUST be somewhere.. Either in your inbox or your sent box or your delete box..

I have my smartboxes set to also look in the deleted box.. when a message comes into my inbox that meets the smartbox requirements, I simply delete it... and it still shows up the smartbox.

does that make sense?

as was stated by skybolt... smartboxes just show the alias to the actual message... sort of like a constant "search" for specific terms or "rules".
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Zanthe is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if this question is related but all of a sudden I'm having a problem with mail boxes. Maybe it's been this way all along but I think I would have noticed by now (over a year).

I have like 5 email accounts setup. All of a sudden the mailboxes for each individual account are showing up in the inbox, sent box, trash and junk mail boxes as sub folders. I don't need/want that. I deleted them from the junk and trash and they stay away for a while but then reappear. In the inbox I can't delete them (sub folders) at all.

Anybody have an idea what is wrong?

All I want is a main in box for "Inbox, Sent, Trash and Junk.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthe View Post
I'm not sure if this question is related but all of a sudden I'm having a problem with mail boxes. Maybe it's been this way all along but I think I would have noticed by now (over a year).

I have like 5 email accounts setup. All of a sudden the mailboxes for each individual account are showing up in the inbox, sent box, trash and junk mail boxes as sub folders. I don't need/want that. I deleted them from the junk and trash and they stay away for a while but then reappear. In the inbox I can't delete them (sub folders) at all.

Anybody have an idea what is wrong?

All I want is a main in box for "Inbox, Sent, Trash and Junk.
You can't really delete them, they are part of the app. But you CAN collapse them so that you don't see them. Click the little triangle next to "Inbox" so that it points at the word Inbox and you will see them go away. Do that for Sent, Trash, etc. and at least you will not have to look at them.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
Zanthe

Zanthe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
You can't really delete them, they are part of the app. But you CAN collapse them so that you don't see them. Click the little triangle next to "Inbox" so that it points at the word Inbox and you will see them go away. Do that for Sent, Trash, etc. and at least you will not have to look at them.
I have them collapsed so I guess I just never noticed it before. Thanks for the repluy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remote desktop from Windows to Mac | I keep dreaming about iMac's HELP!!! »