New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macintosh at work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheGray

TheGray is on a distinguished road

Howdy. New to the forum.

I realize I am breaking typical forum law by having my first post be a new thread, but I assure you I know how to use the search feature and have already used it to answer some of my dumb questions.

I work for a software development company directing our Q/A department. I am trying to get a grasp on how much Macintosh support we need, and therefore how much time I need to have my folks spend on the Macintosh platform.

My question to you guys is do you use Macs where you work?
How much of a presence do Macs have?
Are people running on Mac exclusively or are there windows users who also have a Mac?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

1) Yes. At my job, I am the only Mac, and by request. I'm the lead web developer.
At my side business, I run solely on Mac.
2) Very little. We're not a design shop.
3) If I need to use a PC for testing or MS/evil programs I'll use VMware.

There are never PC users that also have a Mac. It's more like Mac users who are forced to use a PC.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I too am the only individual in my office that uses Mac, also by request. I use our invoicing/inventory windows only software within Parallels.
I do not use a PC at work or at home.
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

This is probably not the best place to figure that out - the responses here will not really be representative of much and will have significant bias. What kind of things are you looking to QA? Do you develop web based software? If so, browser compatibility is likely to be a critical QA issue. If you have an existing product line that is accessible on the web then you should ask your IT Dept. or web master to run some logs for you on utilization - you can see which browsers and operating systems are hitting your current site.

That would likely give you a lot more reliable information than anything else. In my last company we worried mostly about Safari support on Mac. The Firefox implementation on Mac is nearly identical to the Windows implementation so you don't generally need to do comprehensive testing on both.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post

There are never PC users that also have a Mac. It's more like Mac users who are forced to use a PC.
Sadly there are and I live with one. She is an editor and has both a mac and PC at her desk. She complains every time she has to make the switch and use the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
xtophercaa

xtophercaa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)

I'm the only Mac user in our office here at iNET. We have 12 employees here and several remote folks too. Everyone is using a flavor of Windows (XP or Vista) except for me. However, my Mac isn't a work-provided one. I bring my own 15" MacBook Pro to the office from home everyday, and it goes home with me every night.

When I do testing and need to see something in IE or on a PC, I use Parallels.

--C. A.

Chris Ainsworth
Personal Blog
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I am the only Mac user in my department, but I know there are a handfull of others others within the larger organization. My Mac is my only computer, but I can run Windows in a VM for legacy applications. My impression is that most of the other Mac users use only the Mac OS.

Prior to to getting my Mac at work, I would sometimes bring my personal PowerBook in to do some work for which it was better suited. I get the impression that there may be other "shadow" Mac users in the organization as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Frequent color wheel | Biggest/best P2P service for Mac »