New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Anyone heard of SimpleTech???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

I spotted a 500GB external USB 2.0 hard drive at Best Buy for $120. This is about $30 less than a similar sized WD, Maxtor, or Seagate. Anyone have any experience with SimpleTech? Just wondering if this is a deal or a dud? I'm intending to use it for a Time Machine backup drive.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Had no feedback on this brand however suggest you look for Firewire 800 compatible external drives. USB2 is just an option on Macs and Forewire is ever so much faster,.
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Office Max has a 1TB SimpleTech drive for $250 right now. I looked the drive up on Amazon and there was only 1 review and it was recent. I'm curious about them too.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
Kalison

Kalison will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac

SimpleTech uses Western Digital drives (usually). Most of the ones I have cracked open have had WDC drives.
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

You may want to go to NewEgg and check out SimpleTech Hard Drive products. They have the drive you saw at BestBuy for $115. No reviews on it but the reviews on the other SimpleTech products don't sound too promising.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalison View Post
You may want to go to NewEgg and check out SimpleTech Hard Drive products. They have the drive you saw at BestBuy for $115. No reviews on it but the reviews on the other SimpleTech products don't sound too promising.
I think I have a discount coupon for 12% off a purchase over $100 at Best Buy floating around here somewhere. This ends up being a better deal and I don't have to wait or worry about shipping. Thanks for the info though.

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks
LWC

LWC will become famous soon enough

I've been using a 60gb SimpleTech for over a year now to back up some of my pictures - no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

I got my 500gb Western Digital from Staples for 120, just watch around the local ads, they on sale all the time around here.

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
cipher

cipher is on a distinguished road

I have been using two SimpleTech 160gb USB drives for over a year without any problems.
QUOTE Thanks
LadyInRed

LadyInRed is on a distinguished road

I have Simpletech NAS drive that I've been using for about 8 months or so now. No problems to date, very satisfied with my purchase.

When we worry about tomorrow, we rob ourselves of the joy we could be feeling today!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I purchased an 120GB SimpleTech USB 2.0 Laptop external for my iBook. Works GREAT so far. Very happy with it.
QUOTE Thanks
chuckewe

chuckewe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.16 Ghz 3GB Ram OS X 10.4.11 VMFusion 1.1.1 Super Drive

If you're looking for a small portable drive, Simpletech wouldn't be my first choice. They use a larger hard drive and requires an external power source. The WD 2.5 drives are driven by the USB 2.0 Bus which make them perfect for portability, and no powerbrick to lose. The Seagate is also very speedy and great for Video. The WD 2.5" drives are slow, and wouldn't be a good choice for Video, but great for backup, or use as an external for standard files, and Itunes. I have 90 GB of tunes on mine.

If you're looking for a desktop and speed, the Seagate Pros are a great deal, often on sale, have Firewire, USB 2. and Esata connections. The powerbricks are also small and light, and one piece rather than the standard two piece. They are also in a vertical case so they take up very little space. I bought a 750 GB new on sale from Amazon for for $199 on special. Later, a second drive at Costco, $215 with a $10 rebate. The Seagates also have no fans using the brushed aluminum case for a heatsink. A very quiet drive that will also power itself down when not in use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort card not working? | New user, what would you use? »