New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hey, I made the switch.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMike

iMike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Hey,

I'm a new MacBook user and also new to the boards so 'Hi'.

I made the switch a couple of weeks ago and i'm loving it, to be honest Apple weren't lying when they said 'It Just Works'

I have a question though:

I downloaded Messenger for Mac and Flip 4 Mac because i needed them. However, when i shut the MacBook down and re boot, I have to go into finder and applications and start them up from there.

Is there anyway to install them so they load on start up?

Thanks for your time.
Mike.

New MacBook user
QUOTE Thanks
Lewwy

Lewwy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM

Got a feeling someone is going to get here faster

But go into applications and drag them from there into your Applications Dock, then when they are in the Dock, right click them and select Open at Login.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Firstly, congrats to you iMike

And some good advice Lewwy

For a more detailed explanation of the docs workings see this thread

new iMac!!
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

Congrats on your new Mac Mike! One more little tidbit I found on auto-running applications:

You can also do it by going into System Preferences and clicking on Accounts. Select your account on the left and then switch to the Login Items tab. From there you can add any application without having to put it in your Dock bar - and you can mark that it will be hidden as soon as it loads.

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks
iMike

iMike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

Thanks guys.

All fixed now.

Still can't get over why i didn't make the switch sooner!

New MacBook user
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Glad you are happy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« KVM switch question... | Windows Live Messenger on Mac »