New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

My wife can't access important site

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

squidleebee

squidleebee is on a distinguished road

My wife is taking a class and the teacher's website won't let her access it. Camino won't navigate to the site at all. Safari opens the site and a drop down warning window comes on the screen telling us that "selected views require Internet Explorer 5 or higher." I called AppleCare and they could not help. I know Microsoft no longer offers downloads of IE for Macs, and OS 10.5 does not support IE. We have accessed other homepages of other teachers at the same college thru our Mac, but the one teachers site is a problem. Does any out there have any thoughts?

Squid
QUOTE Thanks
wcarr3

wcarr3 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad

Have you given FireFox a shot? This happened to me one in an online class where they said you had to use IE. However, I was able to use FireFox with no problems. Not saying that will be the case for your wife, but it's worth a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I would also suggest Firefox, and take a look at the User Agent addon (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/59). Basically if Firefox doesn't work by itself, you can install the addon which will allow you to tell Firefox to tell websites that it is Internet Explorer. Often that's enough to get on most sites.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Tell your teacher to learn how to code a real web site...
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

One way .You could try Tinker tool http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool.html

download it and go to the safari pane and turn on Debug mode
Launch safari and you get an extra menu in the menu bar click on it and chose User agent you will then get a choice of browsers.
Then try your wifes site.

I use this way to access a site my son has to use at school

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Try Firefox and then what Kilted1 said

The User Agent you need to select is Windows MSIE 6.0
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Does the site use ActiveX controls? If so, you simply can't view it from a Mac, as this is proprietary Windows only junk. I regularly use one very important site that has the same problem. Have to keep Windows around just for that!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

If you are really desperate and can't get it to run then you could try installing IE4OSX http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanBoy View Post
If you are really desperate and can't get it to run then you could try installing IE4OSX http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/
What about IE5 for Mac. It was out there for a while. I have been hunting around to see if I could find a place where you could still download it, but no luck so far.

Does anyone know where you can still download IE5 :mac?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I recalled this old post. The link from it still leads to IE.
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
What about IE5 for Mac. It was out there for a while. I have been hunting around to see if I could find a place where you could still download it, but no luck so far.

IE4OSX http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/
is actually NOT IE4...

IE FOR MacOS X not IE4 Mac OS X
It will allow you to act as IE4,5,6 or 7.
QUOTE Thanks
squidleebee

squidleebee is on a distinguished road

Tinkertool to the rescue!!!!! Thank you to all who responded. Firefox did not work. The webmaster at the college where the site is hosted said we were basically out of luck. Kilted1, thanks for the rescue. I had a Mac years ago. Loved it. Went over to Windows because of my work, and now I'm back on the attack with my new Mac.

Thanks again. Ah it is nice... the kindness of strangers.

Squid
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidleebee View Post
Tinkertool to the rescue!!!!! Thank you to all who responded. Firefox did not work. The webmaster at the college where the site is hosted said we were basically out of luck. Kilted1, thanks for the rescue. I had a Mac years ago. Loved it. Went over to Windows because of my work, and now I'm back on the attack with my new Mac.

Squid
So did your wife gain access to the site?

QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidleebee View Post

Squid
I'm so pleased it worked for you . Thank-you for the kind PM.

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Study View Post
I recalled this old post. The link from it still leads to IE.
Thanks Brown Study! The link worked and I managed to get the browser.

Now, Microsoft set to work immediately. I no sooner downloaded IE5 and then tried to book mark the download site then Safari crashed! Who would think that an MS app that I haven't even installed yet could reach out and crash Safari!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard to Tiger? | Finally got my blackbook! »