New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

KVM switch question...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

This question isn't specifically Mac or switching, but I thought someone may know the answer just the same. I typically have my work laptop setup near my main computer, now this wonderful Mac Pro. I would like to share the keyboard and monitor between the two. I have used KVM switches in the past, but I lately run into one major problem with them.

Pretty much all of the new keyboard/mouse combos are wireless, and most if not all KVM switches do not support wireless configurations. Anyone know of good KVM that will run DVI video at 1680x1050 minimum and supports wireless keyboard/mouse?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm posting a bit off subject for this group.

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks
rcawdery

rcawdery is on a distinguished road

all KVM switches should support wireless keyboards and mice, no reason why they should not apart from some shoddy engineering. All DVI switches should support 1680 x 1050, if they do not it is because they do not support DVI properly, again because of shoddy engineering. A good KVM switch should be totally transparent.

All Adder KVM switches fully support wireless keyb/mouse and DVI is fully supported .. dual link DVI version is very close.
QUOTE Thanks
gwong86

gwong86 is on a distinguished road

There is a KVM from IOGear that I've heard works pretty well. It is the GCS1762. I use the GCS1742 and it works well. I put the USB keyboard/mouse receiver in the keyboard USB port on the back of the KVM. My Windows desktop and MBP both recognize it.
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

Wow... That is a really nice switch, too bad the price isn't really nice. The retail on that switch is $250, and Amazon had one for about $140. That's a bit pricey for my taste, but may end up being the best option. Thanks for the info.

Scott
One happy switcher!
Mac Pro single Quad core/GeForce 8800 GT/2GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« customising desktop? | Hey, I made the switch. »