New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

copying URLs from word to firefox?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

m510

m510 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

On my PC (may it rest in peace), I was able to insert hyperlinks into text in Word and then copy the whole shebang into my Gmail to send - hyperlinks survived the cut-and-paste process from Word to Gmail.

Now I have Office for Mac 2008, and while it's still easy to create hyperlinks in Word docs, when I copy the text into my Gmail compose window the hyperlinks disappear. It's a minor issue, I guess, but annoying.

Is there a fix for this? I poked around in the preferences on both Word and Firefox and found nothing, and saving the hyperlinked text as .doc or .docx didn't make a difference. Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

In word, right click the link and select "copy hyperlink" (or somthing like that). You can then past the URL anywhere.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
m510

Yeah, I got that - there is a copy hyperlink option if you're just clicking the hyperlink itself.

But what I typically have to do is copy a block of text - including plain text plus one or two hyperlinks within the sentences - and paste that into the body of an email. It might look something like this...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Cras non ipsum in turpis iaculis convallis. Ut quis nisl eu urna nonummy rutrum. Aenean pulvinar lectus. Donec quis orci. Pellentesque sit amet felis. Donec lorem magna, facilisis et, accumsan non, varius eget, dolor. Nam eu libero. Cras eu arcu.

And what I need to do is copy that whole paragraph, with live links, and transfer it to my email program without the hyperlinked words getting de-hyperlinked. Mac seems to say no.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Try pasting into TextEdit and see what you get - it sounds as if Word isn't copying the hyperlink information, but just the text.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice

Yeah, it's a problem with word. It's not copying the data to the clipboard correctly. Stupid MS.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
m510

I think you're right. I was able to copy and paste the text block+hyperlinks from Word to TextEdit (which I didn't know existed! thank you!), but still can't go from TextEdit to my email without re-inserting the hyperlinks. Guess I'll just have to get used to it...
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

Make sure you're composing the email in Rich Text Format or HTML mode. That's the only way complex things like hyperlinked text (and text styles) can get pasted.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ordering iMac today!!! Parallels worthwhile? | What I'm sure is a silly question... »