New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro - Help with decision on macbook pro vs dell xps m1310

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Colpup

Colpup is on a distinguished road

im a soon to be college student and i am looking for a fairly portable but yet powerful laptop, with that said i will be using it mainly for word processing and web surfing and stuff but i do play games occasionally along with video and music editing so i want a decent video card-and that is why the reg macbook is out of the question...

oh and what kind of verification is needed to get the student bonus at apple bc that 200$ off would be nice, but im not going to be in college for another 6-8mos or so

so here is basically what ive narrowed it down too:
base 2.2 ghz 15.4 mbpro-2000%
base 2.4ghz 15.4 mbpro-2500$ (not really looking to spend this much)
or
dell xps m1530 with 2.2 or 2.4 ghz processor, 160gb 7200rpm harddrive, and same vid card as the 2.4ghz mbp- 1700$ final cost

and im not looking to start a mac vs pc argument or anything, im just looking for some decent advise from some people who actually one macs...
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i just returned a m1530 that replaced my 2.2ghz Macbook.

Im going for a pro again.

the whole vista experience is just not for me. Im not looking to start a war here either, but i love how OSX does things with .dmgs and such.

especially since vista cant connect to the university LEAP/PEAP connection. Too bad, the 1530 is sexy, and it was 500 cheaper than the pro.

do you need the video card in the PRO? if not, i would recommend you just get a macbook, and save 1000$.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Colpup

yes i do need the vid card, just like in the first post.

why did it replace the pro, did something go wrong with it. just asking bc ive had a mac mini that broke without a cause so im wondering about reliability.

and also i dont really care which os i chose bc ive been a pc user mainly for years, and then i had the mac mini as well...

but besides ur issues with vista, how was the actual hardware on the dell
QUOTE Thanks
Colpup

no help then ne1
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Sounds like in your case you should just stick with the Dell and save the extra cash. Just my opinion.

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
KeatMP

KeatMP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G

When you buy an apple product, you pay for the quality. Sure the dell is cheaper, but its not made out of aluminum, it doesnt have a back-lit keyboard, its not 1 inch thin when closed, it doesnt have a slot loading disk drive, ambient light sensors, two-finger scrolling, or the ability to boot whatever operating system you want.

Spend the extra $$ and buy and apple. Order online and you can get the student discount without having some sort of proof.

And if you dont start school until the fall, then I would suggest waiting until mid summer to buy. Apple may overhaul its laptop lineup minus the MacBook Air.
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I agree with most of these posts.

If you go Dell, you get what you pay for.
QUOTE Thanks
Colpup

alright, so based on what u people are saying is that my mac mini breaking was something rare. its harddrive or something major broke just in normal use that caused it to not even boot.

but neways ive had numerous dells that havent had any problems, and also the m1530 has a bluray slot loading disc drive.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Hard Drive's sometimes die. Some sooner than others. Apple does not use some special drives. Same Seagate, Western Digital, ETC that PC's use. Was your Mini that died a Power PC G4 old Mini or a newer Intel one?
QUOTE Thanks
KeatMP

To me it sounds like you would rather have the dell.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpup View Post
alright, so based on what u people are saying is that my mac mini breaking was something rare. its harddrive or something major broke just in normal use that caused it to not even boot.

but neways ive had numerous dells that havent had any problems, and also the m1530 has a bluray slot loading disc drive.
from what i gather of your posts, it seems youve already decided?

get the dell, and enjoy it. I was very disappointed with my 1530, it wasnt as fast as i would have thought it would be (2.2/256VC/3GB ram).

if your comfy with windows, AND VISTA, then there ya go.

ive had dells in the past too, not really any bad issues with them, except hinges wearing out.

Get what makes you happy. In this case it sounds like either, so buy WHATEVER saves more money.

Gotta weigh your options.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Neferatowen

Neferatowen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colpup View Post
oh and what kind of verification is needed to get the student bonus at apple bc that 200$ off would be nice, but im not going to be in college for another 6-8mos or so
http://education.apple.com/students/locate/ (US)
http://canadaapp.apple.com/cgi-bin/W...oa/wa/higherEd (CND)

All I had to do was put in which school I was going to and my student number.
QUOTE Thanks
mark72005

mark72005 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Mac with the student discount. Sometimes they ask you to verify later, from what I read, with some kind of document from your school. Sometimes not. I personally was not asked.

Nah, really, playing games is the only reason to buy a PC. If you must play games, if that's a showstopper with you, then it is what it is.

I might consider a Dell... if I could install OSX on it!
QUOTE Thanks
KeatMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark72005 View Post
I just bought a Mac with the student discount. Sometimes they ask you to verify later, from what I read, with some kind of document from your school. Sometimes not. I personally was not asked.

Nah, really, playing games is the only reason to buy a PC. If you must play games, if that's a showstopper with you, then it is what it is.

I might consider a Dell... if I could install OSX on it!
Why not just install XP or Vista on the Mac if you must have some game compatibility?
QUOTE Thanks
Colpup

Ok thanks for all the feedback, but believe me my mind is not made up. I would prefer a mac over a pc, especially if i can use bootcamp or parallels, but yet the features are higher on the dell for the money. so basically here is my delema(spell):

better os for mac, more software features for slightly more money:

or same processor, vidcard, and memory, vista, slotload drive (poss bluray) for slightly less money. oh and this may be small but it also has an hdmi port which i would use a lot instead of vga
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Login screen isn't calibrated... | 1st Post via iMac »