New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

1st Post via iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

Well... it arrived today and I'm up and running!!! This is my first official post in this forum using my new iMac!!!

SSSOOOOOOOOOOO much to learn. How do I check my network connections, see my other PCs, use my print server, just a million new experiences. How do I save favorite places in Safari, how do I add another mail account... the list goes on and on. The machine is so quiet, I can barely hear anything. I powered it up and it found my LinkSys wireless G broadband router instantly.

And BTW, as noted earlier... I bought the Apple refurb and saved myself about $300+. I went over it and there's not a mark on it. It was so well packed I almost convinced myself that they sent me one right off the assembly line.

One of my friends has the identical machine and he's coming over tomorrow to give me a hands-on tutorial.

Looking forward to a lot of fun for the next couple of weeks.

Doc

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Visit www.myfirstmac.com for any questions that you may have.
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Congratulations! how long did you have to wait?
QUOTE Thanks
chaunce322

chaunce322 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HD

Congrats! I got a new iMac last August and haven't looked back!

Sean
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I got my new iMac on the 8th and absolutely love it. I do have a couple of programs that require windows so I am going to keep my Windows box and use it for these apps since I don't want to pollute my iMac with Windows. I am also going to use it as a simple file server that will be shared across my network.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Give it a week and you should be an expert by then.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgrafix View Post
Well... it arrived today and I'm up and running!!! This is my first official post in this forum using my new iMac!!!
I've actually been anticipating the moment when I click "Submit" to post my first message on my Mac, but I still have another week before I order it. This is nothing but pure torture!
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

It took about 6 days to get here. There is a lot of "automatic" in the setup, but I'm having a few teething problems with my printers because they are on the network (LinkSys Print Server). I'll have to go to their web site and see if they have any specific drivers. HP indicates that the apple OS includes drivers for the HP1220c Deskjet and my HP Laserjet 5P.

I've been planning all this for months, and finally got up the courage to get'er done! Darn is this thing quiet!!!

QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Go to system preferences--->Printer & Fax than click the little plus sign in the bottom left corner of the window. Wait as the list calculates and as long as you are connected to the same network as your printer you should be able to see it and add it from their.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

OK, went to system prefs, and followed instructions... but it won't actually let me find my wired Linksys print server. I think Linksys uses a IP address IIRC, and I didn't write that down. I remember something like SEC293 with some other numbers/letters.

QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

I'm not too experienced with that sort of thing, but I'm sure someone around here is, so just keep an eye on this thread and I'm sure your question will get answered.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Probably should start a thread with LinkSys in the subject to get better input but thanks for the help.

QUOTE Thanks
MacDad77

MacDad77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4Ghz 24" Al iMac 4GB + 2Ghz MacBook 2GB

Welcome! My iMac is relatively new as well (Oct 07). I still have only scratched the surface of what it will do. Though I have pushed it as far as it will go I think in the video editing relm. No worries. I already have plans gestating for an 8-Core Mac Pro...

I too have not looked back.
QUOTE Thanks
nbrowser

nbrowser has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB

Ah this seems yo be the place for this too, this is also my first post with my iMac now that I have a keyboard that works well enough....a modern aluminum ultra slim one.... sweet ! And a huge shout out to those who help others here..... you have no idea how good it is for us coming from Windows only to the Mac even an older one like mine.

This is a multiplatform home !
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

The learning curve, in my opinion is not much, although I am vaguely familiar with Windows. This is a great forum, and never be afraid to ask questions on here. Welcome...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with decision on macbook pro vs dell xps m1310 | Urgent Student Pre-order Help needed! »