New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Reformat USB stick

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrsRed

MrsRed will become famous soon enough

I have a USB stick that I use all the time & I have taken everything out of it & put it into the trash but it is still telling me that it is full. How do I reformat my USB ??

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

in your applications folder under utilities you'll find disk utility. open this with the usb drive attached. select the highest level of that drive should beneath your HD like this:

MAC HD
- mac hd name/details
USB DRIVE < select this
- usb drive name/details

from here you can reformat the drive.

oh - btw, did you try emptying the trash with the drive attached?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MrsRed

MrsRed will become famous soon enough

That worked perfect thank you for such a quick response.
Yes I did empty th trash with it attached & that didn't help.

Thanks again

Robin
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

np -

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

Also Remember after you delete from the usb drive you need to empty you desktop trash can...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRed View Post
Yes I did empty th trash with it attached & that didn't help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanBoy View Post
Also Remember after you delete from the usb drive you need to empty you desktop trash can...
yeah, sounds like she figured that out...

QUOTE Thanks
cvf223

cvf223 is on a distinguished road

Hey when i put my USB in my pc it keeps saying " The disk "USB" was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible." And when i try to reformat it over the Disk Utility it says " Input/output error " So what can i do ??
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Common problem with U3 based flash drives\sticks. Nothing much you can do except throw it away. If you have any sensitive data on the drive, be sure to completely physically destroy it before throwing it away. Of course copy the data off the drive first (if possible).

BTW, most flash drives nowadays are NOT designed to be reformatted.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
cvf223

cvf223 is on a distinguished road

ok than i have to buy a new one .
Thanks for the quick answer !
QUOTE Thanks
a_minx

a_minx is on a distinguished road

I was having similar trouble and emptied my "trash" and it worked perfectly...thanks so much!
QUOTE Thanks
jahbuzzz

jahbuzzz is on a distinguished road

Having similar problems but this isnt working for me
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

My Philips has done that a few times so I would reformat using my win machine (but my Philips is an older model also) and that has fixed it.

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Yahoo mail keeps beach balling on macbook pro | easy and quick start »