New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

PDF Compatibility

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

borasamman

borasamman is on a distinguished road

PCs can't open the PDF files that I create with my Mac using the print PDF tool. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What error are you getting on the Windows computers when you try to open the PDF?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
borasamman

borasamman is on a distinguished road

there's no error message. i'm using "windows picture and fax viewer" and the file simply does not open. can't open the file with firefox or internet explorer or any image editor, including windows paint and photoshop elements. windows paint prompts error message saying it can't recognize the file...

by the way, PC show the file as JPG image, not PDF, even though Mac does the conversion into PDF...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Have you unchecked "hide file extension" when you save the file?

Try to open the PDF file in a dedicated PDF viewer - Foxit, adobe reader or something similar...
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

It sounds as if you're doing something wrong, it may be saving the PDF with a JPG extension, or vice versa. Presumably you're choosing File->Print, then clicking the PDF button and choosing Save as PDF... from the pop-up menu...?

Also, I'm pretty sure Windows Picture and Fax Viewer won't display PDFs (in fact, I'm totally sure of it, certainly under XP).

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
sjwill55

sjwill55 is on a distinguished road

Try downloading Adobe reader to your PC and all your problems will be solved.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwill55 View Post
Try downloading Adobe reader to your PC and all your problems will be solved.
Not necessarily...

Quote:
by the way, PC show the file as JPG image, not PDF, even though Mac does the conversion into PDF...
This implies the file has the wrong extension and may not be a PDF.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

If he's trying to open a PDF in programs that don't know what to do with them, then yes, that is exactly why it isn't working for him.

Get yourself Adobe Acrobat Reader and then open the files using that.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

Picture and Fax viewer will open .gifs, .jpegs, .tiffs, etc, but will not open a .pdf. In short, it isn't Preview.

Adobe Acrobat Reader is what you need. Or one of it's competitors.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Whoever neg repped me clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Just look at this post from the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by borasamman View Post
there's no error message. i'm using "windows picture and fax viewer" and the file simply does not open. can't open the file with firefox or internet explorer or any image editor, including windows paint and photoshop elements. windows paint prompts error message saying it can't recognize the file...

Windows Picture and Fax viewer does NOT open PDF files. Don't confuse it for OS X's Preview.app, which supports many more file formats. He then tried it in web browsers and image editors, again, programs that cannot open PDF files. And it's not really showing up as a JPEG file, it's giving the OP a picture icon, denoting that he set the default program as Windows Picture and Fax viewer, not that the PDF magically turned into a picture.

Downloading Adobe Reader or another program that supports PDF files will most definitely solve this guy's problem.

Just because you hear hooves don't assume it's a zebra. My assumptions were not wrong.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« please help me decide | am i going to have to upgrade anytime soon? »