New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - am i going to have to upgrade anytime soon?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iPlayLax

iPlayLax is on a distinguished road

i jsut bought a macbook today for college and iwant to know will i need to upgrade it during my time in school..im a senior in hs right now so will it last me 4-5 years?
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

what are you going to do with your MB?

It is for sure that computers will be a lot more powerful in 4-5 years, but depending your what you intend on doing, the MB could still be good!
QUOTE Thanks
iPlayLax

i know theyre gonna be better by then..**** they'll be better by the time i actually go off to college in september...buy my mom just paid about 1700 for it and i want to get all i can out of it
QUOTE Thanks
Thedspeth

Thedspeth is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G

Like A4 said, it depends on what you are going to do with it. If you like to edit video, home editing of HD might be more popular in 4 or 5 years. From what I understand your average MB or MBP is not going to handle that well.

If you are the kind that just uses a computer for usual school stuff/internet/chat/etc... You could be fine for quite a long time.
Good Luck!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

For the average use of using Office programs, email, chat, and browsing the net, the Macbook will easily last you several years. If you only have 1GB of RAM right now, you might be looking at an upgrade later on, especially with future OS X revisions, such as 10.6, and possibly 10.7 as Apple has an update schedule of 18 to 24 months.

You might also end up getting an external hard drive as you begin to accumulate stuff like documents, videos, and music.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
iPlayLax

i actually have 2 gigs of ram, 2.2 GHz, and 120 gb hdd..should that be good?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That should do just fine. But like I said, you will eventually be getting yourself an external hard drive, especially once you discover the ridiculously fast Internet connection at school

I have two external drives (250GB and 500GB) hooked up to my Macbook, and about 1.3TB of space on my desktop, and I'm still running short. I'm going to be ordering one or two 750GB drives for my desktop soon, and I'm glad I still don't live on campus, as those would get filled very quickly.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

Indeed, you should be fine with 2GB. Like Kash said though, college internet connections are a thing of beauty. We get close to 1MB a second over wireless here at Ball State. I've filled a couple of externals in my 3 years here. The only thing I can forsee you needing is a good pair of speakers. Philips makes a nice desktop pair with bass built in. You can pick them up at Walmart for about $70. I've had them for about 2 years hooked up to my G3 imac and I love them. Good luck!

Peace,
Trent out

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedspeth View Post
If you like to edit video, home editing of HD might be more popular in 4 or 5 years. From what I understand your average MB or MBP is not going to handle that well.
I haven't found that to be quite true myself. I know I need to get more memory for it to speed up, (I can't edit 720p comfortably with anything but Final Cut open), but my MacBook has been handling HD pretty darn good. Not as good as the G5 iMacs in the computer lab do, sadly. And if I have to edit 1080i or 1080p, I'm gonna feel the hurt without 3GB of RAM.

However, I'm helping a friend of mine edit a project he shot completely in 720p Widescreen on my MacBook, and it's not very bad at all. I'm actually surprised how well it runs. My only complaint is that encoding HD is a little on the "not blazingly fast" side. The actual editing isn't bad at all.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PDF Compatibility | Question before I purchase my MacBook Pro »