New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro - Help me switch to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sif

sif is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: :( Still on the dark side

Hey everyone,

I have always been a windows user and I have always wanted to switch to a Mac. Do any of you think a refurbished MBP would be good for a newbie? Also, are there chances of me screwing my Macbook? Because that's how i learned everything about the PC, by screwing things up and mending them back. The only thing is that its easier to work around on a PC since the apps and hardware is freely available and not with a Mac. And finally, is this the right time to buy a MBP?

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

Sif.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

A lot of the regulars here have refurbs. And from their posts, they enjoy them every bit as much as those of us that purchase new.

The right time to buy is when you need a new computer. New tech is always around the corner.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Just because the apps are "freely available" doesn't make it any more legal to get apps.

Given the regular legal channels, a lot of Mac software is actually sold online and is in fact easier to get by than Windows apps.

If you're coming from an illegal download world, then the Mac world is probably not the ideal place. Nor are these forums.
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I have a refurbished MacBook Pro, but I always forget that it's refurbished.

It's not very easy to 'Screw up' a Mac, as long as you stay away from the Library folder.
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

OK, if you are looking for the point-n-click world of a Mac, then you are in for an easy ride:

You have to remember the command key instead of the control key ("Take command, not control").

You may want to bring your 3-button mouse from the PC with you when you move to a MBP or any other Mac, but if not, there are settings and utilities that can be used to give you a close approximation of a right-clickable trackpad. I just use a bluetooth 3-button mouse. Either way you should be good.

If you are command-line phobic, or even if you just want to test things out first so that you know what to expect, download VMWare Fusion's 30-day trial and a LiveCD version of Fedora or any other linux distro. As both linux and OS-X are fully unix compliant, you can test your attempts at command-line on the linux distro so that you will have a better idea of what to expect.

As far as the refurb? If there had been a refurb'd MBPro available when I got mine, I would probably have went that route just to save the cash. Instead, I bought new, and the only thing I really complain about is the price. Until I realize that in the last 5 months, I've had such a small amount of system-related downtime as to be laughable. Not so in my Windows machines.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 — Tiger and OS 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sif View Post
The only thing is that its easier to work around on a PC since the apps and hardware is freely available and not with a Mac.
Regarding software, what do you mean by "freely available?"

Regarding "freely available" hardware,
Quote:
Because that's how i learned everything about the PC, by screwing things up and mending them back.
do you mean you broke PC hardware when learning, and you doubt Mac hardware is easily available?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

WOW, I hadn't considered a refurbished MacBook until now. I'll have to look at them. Thanks for the tip!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Headphone Jack issues - MacBook | Mac Pro 8 core, to buy or not to buy help »