New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Headphone Jack issues - MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brooklyn431

brooklyn431 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am a new Mac owner and I am receiving no sound from the headphone jack. I tried plugging in several different headphones, that didn't work. I have no resorted to calling Apple tech support, only to find out that I have to pay them 50 bucks to help me. So now my only option is bringing it to a GEnius bar. Can anyone offer any suggestions before I go to leave my poor MacBook with these people? Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

You get sound from your speakers? Sound isn't muted is it?
QUOTE Thanks
brooklyn431

yes, there's sound from speakers when I unplug the headphones. I tried putting the volume up and down when I have the headphones plugged in. Doesn't help. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
lightsguydave

lightsguydave will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB

hmmm

Sounds like a hardware issue, maybe your headphone jack is a bit broken

If you check in system preferences, go to sound, then select output along the top. When the headphones are unplugged It should say external speakers. Then try to plug the headphones in. It should change to headphones and alter the volume some. If it doesn't do this, or you still have no sound, you may have to get it seen to professionally

Dave

"Windows users swear at their computers, Mac users swear by their computers"
SUPPORT THE SAMARITANS AND BEFRIENDERS WORLDWIDE - providing emotional support for those with suicidal and despairing feelings.

QUOTE Thanks
brooklyn431

...and it does what you said it would, the volume changes and it says headphones. So you're telling me I don't have to go to the Genius Bar now? But how do I fix it? Please help guys, thanks so much for keeping me away from the Genius bar.
QUOTE Thanks
brooklyn431

Oh yea, and I don't have to pay you guys $50 either! What a scam that is. Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn431 View Post
Oh yea, and I don't have to pay you guys $50 either! What a scam that is. Thanks so much.
Well, you can. The deserving member would be lightsguydave, however. I'll just accept a small stipend. Or maybe some rep.

Hopefully this resolved your issue though.
QUOTE Thanks
brooklyn431

I made the appointment at the Genius Bar today, but if I can avoid it....please help? The thing the other person said about testing it in the System Prefs worked, so there's something else wrong?? Hellppppp...Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
lightsguydave

lightsguydave will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help although i appreciate the comments xD

Just by the by, your appointment with the genius will be free, and they will always ask you before they try to fix anything in any involved way.

Dave

"Windows users swear at their computers, Mac users swear by their computers"
SUPPORT THE SAMARITANS AND BEFRIENDERS WORLDWIDE - providing emotional support for those with suicidal and despairing feelings.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« playing m3u files in iTunes | Help me switch to Mac »