New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - Which is the best?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AINJO

AINJO is on a distinguished road

Out of all the Macs, which is recommended? I've heard many positive reviews for the newest MacBook with OS X Leopard especially from cnet.com . Not many good reviews on the MacBook Air because of many things it lacks. And well the most i'm looking on buying is the MacBook Pro, but because it sounds like it has more to it but i honestly don't know much about macs since i'm just getting into them. If it helps i'm going to be studying graphic design and all that.

And another things, is Microsoft Office compatible with macs? thanks in advance.

QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINJO View Post
Out of all the Macs, which is recommended? I've heard many positive reviews for the newest MacBook with OS X Leopard especially from cnet.com . Not many good reviews on the MacBook Air because of many things it lacks. And well the most i'm looking on buying is the MacBook Pro, but because it sounds like it has more to it but i honestly don't know much about macs since i'm just getting into them. If it helps i'm going to be studying graphic design and all that.

And another things, is Microsoft Office compatible with macs? thanks in advance.

yes there is a version of office for macs but it doesnt have microsoft access.

If your doing graphic design id say get a macbook pro it has a graphics card with dedicated memory where as the normal macbook just has integrated graphics.
QUOTE Thanks
AINJO

AINJO is on a distinguished road

can OS X Leopard be installed in the macbook pro?
QUOTE Thanks
DutchAussie

DutchAussie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powerbook 5300C, Mac 7200,Mac G4,MacBook,Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINJO View Post
can OS X Leopard be installed in the macbook pro?
If you buy a new MacBook Pro it will have Leopard installed.

Regards,

Arie (DutchAussie)
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Simply going by the reviews (especially Cnet) is not going to help your buying decision much, unless you include what you're going to use your computer for.

If you can tell us what you need this computer for, we might be able to help more accurately than Cnet.

As you mention graphic design "and all that", you should check with your school's requirements. Most unis publish some sort of minimum system students require and a list of software that you need to run. Check that out before embarking on a Mac trip.

I personally suggest a Macbook Pro with largest screen you can get. In your field, performance needed is high and a large screen helps any designer.

For you, the Macbook Air won't be a viable choice, so you must choose between MB and MB Pro depending on what's affordable.
QUOTE Thanks
KeatMP

KeatMP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G

I own a MacBook Pro. I got it because it will take longer to go outdated mainly, because it is faster than the MacBook. It has a seperate graphics card compared to a built in graphics card in the MacBook, which helps make it a lot faster. If money isn't an issue, get the Pro. But I would wait until summer, if that is possible. I believe there are some rumors going around Apple is going to redesign the the MBP and MB.
QUOTE Thanks
JuanGuapo

JuanGuapo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB

When I bought mine, I was deciding between the MB and the MBP and ultimately decided on a white Macbook for size/battery life. In the end, it's all going to depend on how big of a screen, and how much you're going to lug around.

The dedicated gfx card is nice but only useful if you're going to use apps that utilize it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Updating OS Versions | my new ibook »