New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Saving Files and Privileges...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

borasamman

borasamman is on a distinguished road

Finally switched to a beautiful 24' iMac from PC, which is the good news! The bad news is that though i can open and edit any image (jpg, tiff, raw files) with Photoshop Elements 4, I can't save them as the system prompts me that i "don't have sufficient privileges". Can only Save As which is not what i want.

When i click on "Get Info" for each of these images that i can't save, i see that they're not given "read&write" access to "everyone". So if I change the privilege of each file to "read&write", then I can save in Photoshop Elements. However, I have more than 10,000 images in multiple folders and sub folders and it's a hassle to go to each folder and carry out this operation. If you select the folder and change its privileges, it does not effect the privileges of the files inside the folder! Is there any way that i can chance privileges to ALL the files in my MAC at once? Some sort of a master privilege command center???

Funny thing is that i have some word, excel files with exact same privileges as of the images, but don't face same saving problem when i edit them with Microsoft Office for Mac. So i also ask myself whether this problem is because of the privilege set up of files or capability of the program with which they're opened and edited???

Any comments welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Sounds like you don't "own" the files. Easiest way to do this is open Terminal,
cd to the folder where the pics are, and type this:
sudo chown -R <your user name> *
Give your admin password.
Assuming you are an administrator on the computer.
Do not do this in any System folders.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
borasamman

borasamman is on a distinguished road

Thanks cradom but i just switched to a Mac last week and neither have the technical background nor the confidence to make such a change myself. i'm afraid of creating a bigger mess. Isn't there a way to do this without the Terminal...?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Not that I'm aware of. Maybe someone else will chime in...?

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe someone else will chime in...?
EDIT: Forgot about this...BatChmod.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6440/batchmod
That should do it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help..... | Wiping browsing history completely? »