New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro or iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mutahher

mutahher is on a distinguished road

Im gonna buy a mac for my birthday switching from a pc to a mac for the first time, but i need help choosing which mac.

Money is not an option but why is the imac soo much less money than the macbook pro and has way better specifications than the macbook pro. I just want too get a decent mac but i hear the macbook pro is gonna have trackpad as it's update like the macbook air has now.
I want the most expensive imac or the high end macbook pro 15 inch, but which one?

Here are the specs;
macbook pro-1596.00
2.4GHz
15.4inch widescreen
160GB HD,2GB Ram

imac-1326.58
2.8GHz
24inch TFT display
320GB HD,1GB Ram

plz help, gonna buy for my birthday in May
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

To understand why the iMac is cheaper, try carrying the iMac around with you at work. Careful! The battery life is really short on an iMac (about zero seconds). Also, I don't think a 24" laptop has ever been produced.
So to decide, ask yourself whether you want portable computer or not. Remember, a laptop can also act as a desktop, while a desktop can only act as an anchor.

About the MacBook Pro gaining the multitouch touchpad: you hear a lot of things that may or may not be true. I don't see that happening before your birthday in May.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

The reason why the iMac is cheaper is cause it's a desktop. That means there's less minituarization which results in cheaper components.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

You really need to decide about two things:

1/ How important is portability to you?

2/ How important is screen size to you?

These two should steer your choice, particularly if money is not the issue.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

am I the only one who can see my post?
QUOTE Thanks
ben-scargill

ben-scargill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: No Mac : (

no man, yours is really good,

www.ben-scargill.co.nr <<< Please visit, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

As others have indicated, miniaturization and heat dissipation are the factors that contribute to increase cost. The iMac is very slim when compared to other desktop systems. But it is still a desktop with comparatively greater space to fit components and dissipate heat when compared to a laptop. This issue is not unique to Macs. They are fairly constant with any computer manufacturer.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

We always get questions about whether to buy a desktop or a laptop.

It's one of those questions only the purchaser can answer.

Portable + smaller screen or non-portable + bigger screen.
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Pretty simple if you ask me. As the others have said, if you think you might want to take your work with you, get the MBP. If not, get the iMac. Personally I'd go with the MBP either way and then if you decide you want more screen real estate just buy an external mouse/keyboard/monitor. It's really the best of both worlds at that point.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
BakerRider

BakerRider is on a distinguished road

starting to want to know the same question.
so being portable and all the MBP is going to run slower compared to the imac, like if they are all the same specs they will run the same?
QUOTE Thanks
Kalison

Kalison will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac

iMacs and MacBooks both use laptop innards... so essentially they both will perform the same way... you get a few bigger and slightly faster options on the iMacs, but none of them besides the screen size and HDD space really make a huge difference in performance.

Speaking of... I am selling off my MBP... I decided I want the awesome 24" 1920x1200 screen size over my portable MBP. Everytime I look at those iMacs I just start drooling.
QUOTE Thanks
BongWizard

BongWizard is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac (one of the fancy new ones with a Core 2 Duo), MacBook, iPod 80GB

seems like a simple enough question to me... go for the macbook pro. a laptop is a desktop as soon as you put it on your desk, and if your really worried about screen size, but want portability as well, just get an extra screen (great ones for cheap at www.newegg.com) a keyboard and a mouse and connect everything up... sure you gotta throw a bit of extra cash at it, but then you get everything you could possbily want

QUOTE Thanks
mutahher

thanks for all your comments i had a desktop and have a laptop currently i dont go out with my laptop i mainly stay in my room in a year i go downstaris once or twice.
P.S. is there an update gonna come out for the imac by May?
QUOTE Thanks
BakerRider

BakerRider is on a distinguished road

so if i have a monitor and keybord/mouse that i wouldnt be getting rid of when i got a mac, your saying to pay a few exctra hundred and get a MBP? So i wont have trouble with it being a laptop compared to a desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
mutahher

i want to get a mac for my birthdayin may changin from a pc to a mac but dont know what to get.

I mainly stay in my room doing homework, i dont know whether to get the 24inch imac or the 15inch high end macbook pro. Money is not an option, but why is the laptop soo much more money.

Oh and by the way, is there going to be an updat for the imac or macbook pro, maybe trackpad for the macbook pro?

Anyway... plz give me your advice
THANKS!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unplugging usb's | Antivirus and Anti Spyware once I get my MBP? »