New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Backing Up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Paul G

Hi, I'm relatively new to Macs and I'm constantly seeing articles about backing up. The point is I wouldn't know where to start. What do I use? Back up to what? I understand why I should back up.

Any help will be appreciated.
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

I don't really back up regularly, because Macs never crash. That's one of the reasons I got a Mac .

They mean either back up to a CD-R or to a FireWire/USB 2.0 external hard drive. You don't really need to, though, in my opinion, because Macs are notoriously stable, and they never get viruses from the internet.

So don't worry about it, unless you're working for some multimillion dollar animation company and your PhotoShop creations are worth hundreds of thousands and losing them could potentially destroy your career. Even then, I would trust my Mac with them
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yeah, I normally back up to an external firewire drive using Carbon Copy Cloner which is about one of the best programs for making sure you get a complete backup. And it's free

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
m1k

I can't remember which company has this (I think Lacie), but there's this one FireWire drive where there's a OneTouch system - you just hook it up and push a button on the drive and it backs up your entire hard drive onto the external one. It's pretty neat
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Even though "Macs never crash," :rolleyes: there are still reasons to back up your data. Hard drives fail, buildings catch fire, laptops get stolen.

I'm personally a fan of the "randomly copy the Mail folder to a USB flash drive" method. If I wanted to be rigorous about it, I'd set up an event in iCal to remind myself every week or so.

If you're a .Mac subscriber, there's Apple Backup

And for those who need a "serious" backup solution, there's Retrospect
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

I agree with technologist...
Backing up your data has nothing much to do with a system crashing, it's just an additional security in case of a hardware failure (which can happen to EVERY piece of hardware, including Apple's ;-) ) or a user error. You can't imagine what kind of things some users do, ending up with deleting all their mails, settings, data, etc. and when you (as an administrator) ask what's the last thing they've done, the answer is always "Nothing!!".

To make things short, if you have important data you want/need to keep, you should back up regularly, no matter what kind of computer or OS you use.
QUOTE Thanks
Erik

I just got a Seagate 160gb external hard drive with the one button backup. It's USB and Firewire. Comes with 2 firewire ports for stacking multiple units. Has a 8mb buffer too. Looks nice on the desktop. I like it.
QUOTE Thanks
ghenrytaylor

By all means back up. You never know when a HD may go or someone knocks your iBook or desktop to the floor. I use a firewire external HD and use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).
Back up, back up, back up.

Henry
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenrytaylor
By all means back up. You never know when a HD may go or someone knocks your iBook or desktop to the floor. I use a firewire external HD and use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).
Back up, back up, back up.

Henry
I back up over my network to an internal 80 Gb on my PC. However, I'm now using my Ipod for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Complacency is very, very dangerous!

Never assume that any computer will "just work", even Macs, especially at the expense of making backups. A hard drive can die at any time, yes even those chosen by Apple.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally got the new powerbook | MacOS X corrupts Fonts!!!??? »