New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Potential Switcher?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dingster1

dingster1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz

Hello folks!!

I'm debating whether to switch my son to a Mac or not and need advice. He'll be starting school for Media Arts and Animation in August. I've noticed that mostly everyone in those programs uses a mac of some sort. We already have a PC desktop at home that he uses for games, and he has an xbox already. If I switch him to a Mac, which one should I get, a Macbook or Macbook Pro? He also is using a Wacom Tablet (6x8 I think) quite extensively.

Thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks
AlluringAnxiety

AlluringAnxiety is on a distinguished road

I think if you're buying the laptop for graphic and video applcations, he'd be no better off with a MacBook, since they used shared memory and a graphics chip. He'd benefit much more from a MacBook Pro, but in saying that, a PC is always going to be totally capable of image and video editing; Macs just happen to be more popular in the industry.

QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Considering he will be in the creative professional arena, a Mac will probably be useful, if not a must.

I recommend:

- Find out what computers the university requires, most schools publish a "minimum system requirement" for the students' computers.

- Make sure all apps he needs at this school are Mac-compatible. Even if one isn't, you can alway run Windows on your Mac, too.

---> Get him a Mac, it will work in any case.

Now to the model: Since he'll be doing animation, a powerful processor might be necessary for video editing and rendering if he's doing 3D. I definitely recommend a Macbook Pro, as large and powerful as possible.

OR you can get him a tower Mac Pro for home and a cheaper Macbook for on the go. It depends on his lifestyle and where he needs to be able to do what.

That said, I'd personally recommend you buy him a Macbook Pro, if affordable with a 17" monitor. These things last, and they'll do everything he needs.
QUOTE Thanks
AlluringAnxiety

AlluringAnxiety is on a distinguished road

But also don't forget that there's going to be a MacBook Pro upgrade in a few weeks, so hold out!

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlluringAnxiety View Post
But also don't forget that there's going to be a MacBook Pro upgrade in a few weeks, so hold out!
although possible, we haven't heard anything from Apple about a potential update. If you need it now buy it now, if you're always waiting for the next system... you'll always be waiting.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dingster1

dingster1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20 in; 15" MBP 2.4 Ghz

UPDATE: PC BLEW UP!!! I'm guessing its the motherboard (does happy dance) looks like its gonna be Macbook for me and the Pro for him!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dalison

dalison has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingster1 View Post
UPDATE: PC BLEW UP!!! I'm guessing its the motherboard (does happy dance) looks like its gonna be Macbook for me and the Pro for him!!!
Bummer on the PC blowing up - but you'll get a great machine in exchange!

--David
My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Refurbished iMac in the UK | I want a Mac but im scared to get one »