New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - Will I be happy w/ a mid grade MacBook?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tork

Tork is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.1g Core 2 Duo MB

I am looking at purchasing the middle grade MacBook from apple.com with the standard package:

Superdrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
Accessory Kit
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

My question is how capable will this setup be? I will be running 4gigs of ram (purchased from another company) after i recieve the computer. The thing that worries me is the integrated graphics card.. Will this setup run games like BF2, COD 4, WOW and the like? Or will I be stumbling wishing id purchased a XPS? What do you guys think?

Thanks Guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Tork

and hey guys.. for what it is worth.. im more or less a noob when it comes to macs and well.. pc's for that matter. computers are not my most gifted area. this feels like a noob post that i would roll my eyes at on one of my car forums.

id appreciate any advice you guys can offer...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If one of your uses will be to play games:

My first suggestion would be to get a Windows machine.

But, whether you get a Mac or a Win PC with intentions of gaming, do not buy either one of them with an integrated graphics card. Save yourself the headaches of never knowing whether a game will work or not until after you buy it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Tork

sounds good bob. thanks for the reply. i have a modded dell desktop that is my main gaming tank. this laptop that im going to be purchasing is more of a take to class and use at work setup. it just would be nice to have something capable of running a couple decent games to kill the time at work.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

There are a lot of games that will run OK on the MacBook in that type of scenario. My wife has found a bunch that she likes. Just don't get your hopes up with anything that needs 3d.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Tork

alright after doing a bit of reading i think im heavily considering the pro now. my only qualm is its portability... does anyone carry a pro around daily?
QUOTE Thanks
L3G0M4N1A

L3G0M4N1A is on a distinguished road

I carry my pro around all day, doesnt bother me at all. If you want a machine for gaming, and you want a mac, you have to get a pro. The regular MacBook will run 3d games, it just doesnt run them that great. Low settings, ugly graphics, etc...I love mypro!
QUOTE Thanks
Tork

sounds good. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Just make sure you get a decent bag and you won't have a problem carrying the MBP around.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Big Mike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G

I carry my 17" MB Pro around to class and have no problems with the size or the weight.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Those MBPs are also really thin :-)

I think while Apple compared the Macbook Air to a Sony TZ Series, they didn't show that their other laptops are actually quite thin as well. The Macbook's a bit clunky, but the 17inch MBP is really very thin. Just has a humongous screen inside.
QUOTE Thanks
Big Mike

Big Mike is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
Those MBPs are also really thin :-)

I think while Apple compared the Macbook Air to a Sony TZ Series, they didn't show that their other laptops are actually quite thin as well. The Macbook's a bit clunky, but the 17inch MBP is really very thin. Just has a humongous screen inside.
You're absolutely right about that. My MBP is very thin compared to my old 15" PowerBook. When I got the MBP, I was really surprised by the low profile.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« student discount? | External media player drive »