New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to handle the waiting...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

OK. I've taken the plunge and ordered my new Mac Pro last night. Unfortunately, the configuration I want is a custom build and the estimated delivery date is Feb 25 - Mar 3. ARGH!!!!

Now I have to somehow keep from going nuts with anticipation. I'm afraid this is actually going to kill me waiting up to 3 weeks for my new box to get here. Of course I'm perusing the forums, and I also picked up the Leopard Missing Manual book. These will help, but 3 weeks!?!?!

Anyway, I just wanted to share the good news about my order. So, since I have placed my order do I officially qualify as a switcher, or do I have to wait until I can make my first post to the forums on my new Mac to gain the coveted switcher status?

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Oh... I don't know... I figure that since you've already spent the money, that you are now committed. ;-)

Best way to kill those three weeks is to arm yourself with knowledge of the system. Lots of good information online and printed to help you in this respect. Apple site has their "101" series for folks switching, for example. It should make the transition easy.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
sgarrand

sgarrand is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" i5 iMac 2011, 12 GB RAM

I posted the same thing in a thread not long ago. I only had to wait a week but even that anticipation was killing me. On the day it came the guy came at 4:30 PM! I was sure it wasn't going to come.

To kill the time I watched just about every online Mac video I could find on Apple's site and even on Youtube. I read a few books from my library (yeah.. I'm cheap) on Leopard. Learn all you can and at times you'll have to keep busy with other stuff just to keep your mind off it. Hope it goes by fast for ya!

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
MissMurder

MissMurder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrand View Post
I posted the same thing in a thread not long ago. I only had to wait a week but even that anticipation was killing me. On the day it came the guy came at 4:30 PM! I was sure it wasn't going to come.

To kill the time I watched just about every online Mac video I could find on Apple's site and even on Youtube. I read a few books from my library (yeah.. I'm cheap) on Leopard. Learn all you can and at times you'll have to keep busy with other stuff just to keep your mind off it. Hope it goes by fast for ya!

Scott
that's what i did almost word for word.
i waited for a week and mine came at 4:45 PM!
i had given up already!
but then you'll see it is so worth the wait...
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrand View Post
I read a few books from my library (yeah.. I'm cheap) on Leopard.

Scott
I believe the term that you are thinking of is "frugal"... ;-)

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I know what you mean. I just picked up my iMac on Friday. I had been planning switching for about 6 months. I have to say that the anticipation is the best part. I don't want to say I'm sorry I switched but the waiting/wanting is much better than having. Don't get me wrong I love my iMac and don't regret switching. I think my problem was that I over learned so that yes as exciting as it is I think I cheated myself out of some of the thrill. Let's not forget though that after all it is shiny and cool looking.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Well, how about this thread which I just posted in response to another similar query. It suggests a different way of looking at the waiting. Try it out!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

Well... I do have a major project on the table now that should keep me busy. The wife and I went out and bought a new computer desk from an unfinished furniture store yesterday. In addition to that, she suggested that we go ahead and move up our plan to rip the carpet out of the study and install the hardwood flooring that we were planning on doing later this year. This means I'll be busy on the evenings I'm not in class with staining and finishing the new desk, and then the weekend project will be ripping up and installing the new hardwood floor.

Since I really enjoy woodworking and home improvement projects, this is really going to be a lot of fun. I'm also enjoying bragging around the office about my new purchase and also what is soon to be my newly renovated home office. I think I'll be able to make it, but I'm still really anxious.

Now I just have to figure out how to break it to the wife that I need to spend another $200ish for an external hard drive for Time Machine. Oh well, I'll figure out something.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

Looks like the waiting isn't going to be nearly as bad as I thought. I purchased the Mac Pro over the phone and when I got the confirmation e-mail it had an estimated ship date of Feb 21 - 26, and a delivery date of Feb 25 - Mar 3. The mere thought of having to wait up to 3 weeks was driving me nuts.

This morning, I checked my e-mail and I have an order update from Apple. My Mac Pro shipped out Feb 12. From 2 weeks to ship to shipping out in 3 days. Suffice to say I'm rather happy right now.

Now I just have to get the study ready for the new baby. New hardwood laminate flooring. New computer desk needing to be picked up, stained and finished. This is going to be one busy weekend, especially so since the wife is working Saturday and we have tickets to the Stars game on Sunday.

Can't wait to make my first post here from the new Mac.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

Still waiting, and pretty much losing my mind. It's about 2:10PM here, and I'm waiting on the FedEx guy to get here. I'm so anxious in fact, that I saw a FedEx truck roll past my house about 10:00AM and I chased him down. I mean I got in my car and drove after him to his next stop and asked if maybe he missed my house. Turns out, FedEx has different trucks for Air and Ground shipping and he was the Air shipping guy. ARGH!!!

So, here I sit reading the forums and waiting with barely contained excitement. I'm looking out the window every time I think I hear a vehicle go by. I don't think I have been this anxious about a delivery since my wife was giving birth to our son. Now, just so you don't think I'm completely nuts, that was a MUCH more anxious and exciting wait than this is. This wait is more like when I was a kid and it was Xmas eve. Ah, to relive my youth.

Hopefully my next post will be soon, and hopefully it will be from my shiny new Mac Pro.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
fred

fred is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger

LOL. And I thought being excited about simply ordering a Tiger disc from ebay to install on this old freebie G4 gigabit was bad.
Congrats. on the new "baby".

My Newbness Rules Me.
QUOTE Thanks
maccernow

maccernow can only hope to improve

IM in exactly the same situation WORD for WORD. Ive rang apple every day to get them to hurry up. Anyway some comfort I have is that somewhere my baby is in transit but not sure when its gonna turn up. I cant get my mind of the wait so im constnatly stuck to reading forums and learning.

As they say the best things come to those who wait !!!
QUOTE Thanks
tmorgan1689

tmorgan1689 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb

Hopefully your setting it up now!

Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
32gb iPhone 3GS
8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen
QUOTE Thanks
fred

fred is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Gigabit 400 Single. 40GB , 1.25GB RAM. OS 10.4.11 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorgan1689 View Post
Yeah, it's been almost three hours.
Find a FedEx truck and say "what the ****?"

My Newbness Rules Me.
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorgan1689 View Post
No. I can definitely say though that FedEx is torturing me. I've been waiting all day for this. Now I have to go to class and my wife won't be home for another 20 minutes or so. I'm sure he'll get here 5 minutes after I leave for class. Then I'll be on the end of the delivery schedule for tomorrow and not get it until 5:30 after going nuts all day again.

Wish me luck in coming home to my new Mac.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it possible to delete/lose the Preferences icon on the dock? | Thinking about making the switch »