New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hardware question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

covax

covax is on a distinguished road

First time Mac owner here. Just bought a 500mhz iMac today! I'm so excited! I'm really impressed at how well the 500mhz/512mb RAM handle themselves, especially 7 years later!

Anyways, my question is this. If I want to swap out my hard drive, do I need to get a special kind of hard drive? Or will any old IDE I have work? 20 gigs probably isn't going to cut it... What about the cd-rom? I know it's slot load, so if I want to do too much to it I'll have to hack the case a bit (with a saw).
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

I believe any HDD will work as long as it is compatible with you Macs connections and is the right size and what not. Try macsales.com great site!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

any old ide hdd will do. make sure you have the start up discs for your OS so that you can format the hdd on start up and then install the OS.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Tech Specs

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
covax

Alright, hold on, according to that link you just sent me (thanks btw, lots of stuff I didn't know) there's an external VGA port... I'm pretty sure there's not!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

I believe that the machine is old enough to hit the 128GB IDE limit, though. So you may want to keep that in mind.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there's not!
If it's a 500MHz iMac, then there is...unless someone's ripped it out with pliers!
QUOTE Thanks
covax

Holy crap... How did I miss that?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multiple File tagging | how to disable picture of myself in Mail ? »