New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Resizing Boot Camp partitions in Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

john_s

john_s is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro 15" with Leopard. I have boot camp 1.4 with Windows Vista Home Premium (have not upgraded it yet). I want to upgrade it to boot camp 2.0 with my Leopard install disk. Now for the question.

I have the partitions to 32GB FAT partition for Vista and the rest (160GB - 32GB) for Leopard. I want to make them both 80GB. I have no data on any of the operating systems, because this is a new computer (Tiger, Boot Camp 1.4, Vista Premium, upgraded from Tiger to Leopard using flatpack). I also have install disks for both operating systems. I know there is a way to do it by wiping my hard drive, but is there an easier way? It is fine if I have to buy any 3rd party software to do it (iPartition??). I'm very confused. (and a newbie)

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Pick up iPartition. It's more robust than Apple's Disk Utility.
http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iPartition.php
QUOTE Thanks
john_s

john_s is on a distinguished road

will that non-destructively resize the partitions? and does it woork with ntfs?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You want to:
A. Resize both partitions
B. Install Leopard
C. Change the Windows partition from FAT32 to NTFS

The absolute easiest way to do all this is to wipe the drive and just start over again. By the time you find and figure out how to use any 3rd party software to do all of that, you could have finished wiping and re-installing everything at least twice.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_s View Post
will that non-destructively resize the partitions? and does it woork with ntfs?
Yes. All that information is on the link that I provided for you.
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
The absolute easiest way to do all this is to wipe the drive and just start over again. By the time you find and figure out how to use any 3rd party software to do all of that, you could have finished wiping and re-installing everything at least twice.
bobtomay: In doing a complete reinstall, do you know if it is possible to use Time Machine to reinstall the Mac side of the partition to it's current state? I've investigated iPartition, but given how infrequently I would need to make changes to my partition, the $50 price seems rather steep.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you have a current Time Machine back up - yes...

Insert the Leopard DVD - Double click on the Mac OS X install icon, and then click Restart.

The installer will start upon re-boot, then from the Utilities menu, select Restore System from Backup. You'll then choose the volume that contains your Time Machine backup.

There are some good directions on the Leopard disk. Put it in and double click on it. Then open the Instructions folder. Then open the Install & Setup Guide. What you're looking for is on page 12 starting with Restoring Your System.

If you're wanting to use NTFS for your windows partition and have anything you need from it also backed up, I would recommend restoring your drive to a single volume for the OS X install. Just to alleviate any possible problems later on.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

Thanks for the detailed information.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iMac | Multiple File tagging »