New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Keyboard concerns...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be making the switch soon. I have been a long time user of the ergonomic keyboards, and for me it's not just a passing fad, I have seriously been using them exclusively for well over 5 years now, I think. It doesn't look like Apple even offers an ergo keyboard.

Anyone have any recommendations for a third party Mac keyboard? I think I can continue using my existing MS Natural keyboard, but that seems a bit unnatural using MS hardware on a Mac. I'm pretty sure I can as the keyboard is USB, I'm mainly just wondering if there is an Apple specific ergo design that anyone can recommend?

While on the subject of hardware... I have heard to only order a Mac with the base RAM, and then upgrade via third party as it is MUCH cheaper that way. Where should I go to buy this RAM? Is it safe to install the RAM myself? Mainly I want to make sure that opening the case and installing the RAM isn't going to void my support or anything.

Thanks yet again for the info. I'm trying to ask as many questions as I can before I buy to make life that much easier once I've been brought into the fold.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

What mac did you order?

I have no keyboard recommendations as i use an apple keyboard. As far as RAM goes I ordered crucial from Frys. You can also order from crucial directly. I haven't ordered anything from OWC but i heard OWC has some great prices.

I believe you can install aftermarket RAM on any Mac and not void the warranty. It is not only safe to install the RAM it is also very easy to do.
QUOTE Thanks
svnipp

svnipp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanity1082 View Post
What mac did you order?

I have no keyboard recommendations as i use an apple keyboard. As far as RAM goes I ordered crucial from Frys. You can also order from crucial directly. I haven't ordered anything from OWC but i heard OWC has some great prices.

I believe you can install aftermarket RAM on any Mac and not void the warranty. It is not only safe to install the RAM it is also very easy to do.
I haven't actually ordered yet. I'm planning on a Mac Pro with a single Quad core, and the GeForce 8800 graphics option. I'm planning on ordering this with 2GB of RAM, and then probably adding another 4GB to that if that is a valis memory configuration.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Adesso markets a Mac Tru-Form ergonomic keyboard with a proper Mac layout (command/option/return/delete/fwd delete keys)

Microsoft has Mac drivers to enable the special features on some of its Natural keyboards. Other should work, but you'll have to put up with the slight differences in layout.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« maintenance? | Soon to be Mac user »