New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ordering iMac today!!! Parallels worthwhile?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

drgrafix

drgrafix is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

Like the header says... I'm making the plunge today. I spoke to MacMall last night and part of the bundle they are talking about is the inclusion of Parallels (and an Epson printer too).

I'm a long time PC user and have lots of PC apps that I'll probably use until I can upgrade to apple versions (i.e. older Photoshop/Corel/etc.). As I understand it, Parallels allows you to run windows apps simultaneously rather than having to exit the apple OS and reboot into windows. So the question I have is whether this works well or is it buggy?

Without Curiosity, Intelligence Is Nonexistent
Aging Grandpa drives a Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning & Mini Cooper-S Turbo
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Experiences vary, but I find Parallels slow and unstable. I prefer VMWare Fusion.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgrafix View Post
Like the header says... I'm making the plunge today. I spoke to MacMall last night and part of the bundle they are talking about is the inclusion of Parallels (and an Epson printer too).

I'm a long time PC user and have lots of PC apps that I'll probably use until I can upgrade to apple versions (i.e. older Photoshop/Corel/etc.). As I understand it, Parallels allows you to run windows apps simultaneously rather than having to exit the apple OS and reboot into windows. So the question I have is whether this works well or is it buggy?
In my experience.....
Parallels is ok as long as you give it at least 756mb(with XP) or 1gb(Vista) - I have 2gb ram total. Anything less and it was slow and clunky.

It's ok for occasional stuff, office etc. But if you're firing up Photoshop or the Corel suite you'll find BootCamp-ing into full-blown windows much less frustrating.

I've only tried the trial of VMWare Fusion but it was much the same give or take.

Parallels will use the BootCamp partition as it's 'VM' if it finds one so you can have both.

If they're throwing it in for free or less than retail it's worth having.

All my experiences are based on my 2.16ghz core2duo 2gb Macbook. If you're getting something with more power and ram parallels may be a more attractive solution.

mrplow
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
Experiences vary, but I find Parallels slow and unstable. I prefer VMWare Fusion.
Does the inclusion of VMWare Fusion slow down Mac OS X? As I understand it, it essentially introduces a Hypervisor between the OS and the hardware. That has to slow things down some. Any subjective opinions?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Mitcherooney

Mitcherooney will become famous soon enough

Greetings.

IMHO Parallels is just fine on my iMac - an earlier model - 1.83 GHz 2GB SDRAM with Tiger. I use fairly basic software under Win 2000: Office; some Serif stuff and a genealogy program from TMG. Having a very understanding spouse, but one who has reached her limit regarding my tecchie expenditure, I use stuff that I've got rather than buying Mac 'equivalents'. As I am getting on in years, learning new programs is one challenge too many. I remain contented. It may be clunky with intensive, demanding software, and other options may prove more satisfactory. In summary, it depends on your particular needs..... Cheers Mitcherooney
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Mac Specs: 24" iMac Aluminum/2.8GHz/500GB/6MB/Lacie Quadra1TBTM,MBPro13 wSSD, AirportX, iPhone4G,ATV1

I'm going with a iMac 24", 500GB HDD, 2.8GHz CPU, and 2GB, but I will upgrade the RAM with at least one 2GB stick. So it sounds like you have to allocate some resources to Parallels or VM Ware Fusion. With BootCamp you have to exit, power down and reboot? Is that stressful for the HDD long-term, not to mention all the other electronics?

And yes... they were giving me a rebate coupon so it virtually was almost free. I got a detailed quote from them this morning, and since I was looking to buy an open box item to allow me to get the above machine for the price of a 2.4/320GB setup the price sounded great. But the clinker was that all sales are final, no returns, and the warranty is 90 days or the balance of the original warranty when the machine was bought/returned.

Apple online has a somewhat similar deal, but they will allow returns, give you the full 1 year warranty, they include all CDs/Documentation, and they give you a $100 coupon towards a Epson printer. A little more expensive, but I like the idea of being able to bring it to my local apple store if something is wrong with it.

QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

i'm very happy with parallels (trial version which is only 14 days). will order for permanent use. upgraded to 4g ram and use parallels setting recommendations. have a macbook pro. first time mac user.

i'm not a fan of open box purchases (pc) - did it many many years ago and although i could exchange it; made 3 exchanges and it still never worked right. i'd personally go the apple route. if i had to go one way or the other.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Done deal. Went with Apple refurbished which many forum members here have highly recommended. My iMac should be here around the middle of next week. Once I get it up and running, I'll do the trial software evaluation.

Is there a lot of bloatware in the trial stuff? What I mean is will I be installing stuff that I don't really need and then I have residual garbage on the system when I don't go further than the 14 day trials. They should actually give you 30 days to try this stuff out because I work all day and have to figure on really studying what benefits and shortcomings are associated with each trial package at night... and I still have to live too .

Is there an online/comprehensive list and overview of what's coming in the way of software trials with perhaps some opinions?

QUOTE Thanks
ben-scargill

ben-scargill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: No Mac : (

well, unless your old PC is, like, broken, why dont you just keep both and be really special : D
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

i can only speak for the parallels trial. it did download with anti-virus, etc. software which from reviews on net, is considered one of the best. it seems the trial download is their premium offering.

although the parallels trial was only 14 days, they did contact me before expiration, and due to our lack of time to get a real feel for the product, they extended me another trial key.
QUOTE Thanks
stsanford

stsanford is on a distinguished road

I have been using Parallels (full version) on my MacBook Air.

It's awesome, I have Fusion installed, but have been a bit disappointed (and this is coming from a VMWare Partner).

You can read my other thread where I go in more detail (IT Consultant .....) is the title.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Does the inclusion of VMWare Fusion slow down Mac OS X? As I understand it, it essentially introduces a Hypervisor between the OS and the hardware. That has to slow things down some. Any subjective opinions?
I've had a Windows 2000 VM running in VMWare for a week, it sat in the background and I didn't even realise I'd left it open; that was while I was running iTunes, PathFinder, MAMP, Smultron, FireFox, Opera, Camino, Transmit and even Google Earth simultaneously with no slowdown. So no, whatever VMWare is doing, it's not having any detrimental effects.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
SupraTuRD

SupraTuRD is on a distinguished road

Is a specific version of Win XP required to work with Parallels? For those that want to run Win XP Home on Bootcamp, it calls for the version with Service Pack 2... just wondering if that's the case with Parallels as well.

thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Thyamine

Thyamine will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb

I installed both demos and I liked VMWare Fusion better. I also noticed (and I think you can search on here and Google for it) that Parallels would not completely uninstall when I was done with the trial. It left components/settings/things in the system that it didn't remove automatically when I uninstalled it, and that upsetting me.
QUOTE Thanks
drgrafix

Actually, I haven't yet installed any windows, parallels, or vm-ware... I'm so busy learning how to do things in this gui I've been way too preoccupied. But with regard to your question, XP with SP2 is fairly rock-solid and stable. I would not install XP unless it was a version that had SP2 embedded or you got a very old one and downloaded SP2. Tons of patches and fixes for security and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTuRD View Post
Is a specific version of Win XP required to work with Parallels? For those that want to run Win XP Home on Bootcamp, it calls for the version with Service Pack 2... just wondering if that's the case with Parallels as well.

thanks in advance!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Turn off MacBook Pro at night? | copying URLs from word to firefox? »