New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mac: What to go for? Opinions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jez

Jez is on a distinguished road

Right then i have had a MacMini G4 1.42G with 512RAM for about 3 years now and i think its about time for a change as things seem to be slowing down.

I am a freelance web developer that uses, Dreamweaver/Photoshop and Illustrator and when all are open my Mini obviously slows alittle.

So what do people think i should go with, a new iMac or macbook?
Should it be a Macbook Pro or will a Macbook be ok?
I work about 2 days at home and 3 other days in an office where they have computers, so should it be a desktop or laptop?
Minimum for decent speed? As in no pint me paying for more power if i'm never going to use it.

Just general opinions on what would be a good idea, some expert opinion's

Many thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Personally I'd hate to do design work on a laptop. Yes the resolutions good, but come on - it's still a titchy screen compared to a desktop.

2gigs of RAM is all you need. Once you've got that, any Mac can run PS and DW quickly.
QUOTE Thanks
charliecrosslan

charliecrosslan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB

if youre talking about using all the programs all at once, the most important thing is probably the RAM and graphics. For me, its got to be the macbook pro or the imac, depending on if you want desktop or laptop.(At least 2gb)
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

I would go with an Imac if you want a desk top. The imac should be able to handle all of your tasks fine. If you want a laptop i would go with the macbook pro for the extra screen real estate.

Either one would be great and as Alexis said said get atleast 2gb of ram. Get the 2 gb of RAM aftermarket. It is cheaper than getting it thru apple and will not void your warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
Jez

Jez is on a distinguished road

Cheers guys.

I have read in another thread i started about the pro, how to add ram is it easy to do with the imac as well.

Whats the cheapest 2gb ram that i can put either in the imac and macbook pro?

I think it boils down to whether i need a laptop or not, i just dont know :s
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Easy, hook up the laptop to an external keyboard/mouse/display when you're at home and just take the laptop with you where ever you want when you're not at home. If you think you'll work outside of your office/home (or like the idea of it), then a laptop is the way to go. I'm SOOO much happier after ditching my desktop and getting a laptop.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

i personally use crucial and recommend it
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Crucial, Kingston and OWC brands of ram all seem to be reliable. I have kingston in my imac and not a day trouble with them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which iMac? | PC keyboard with Mac mini »