New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro - Cheapest place to buy a MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

density

density is on a distinguished road

Apple has the basic 17" config for $2800, $2600 for me being a college student. macmall.com has them for $2000 or so, with the same config. I am not looking for somewhere cheaper than that, but do you think it would be a wise choice to go with macmall ? Prices that much lower than the company that makes it makes me think twice about the legality of macmall. I fear the mbps they are selling may be refurbs or something similar. Where would you guys go buy a macbook pro if it were you ? I would like to spend less than $2600 if at all possible, although I will gladly pay that amount if need be.
QUOTE Thanks
L3G0M4N1A

L3G0M4N1A is on a distinguished road

I bought mine at an apple retail store. This is more than likely the safest way to get your new macbook. Macmall.com doesnt look to be any kind of fake retailer or shady dealer though. You should probably be safe I would think.

(I'm a college student too and have been saving my money for like 6 months just to get mine haha)
QUOTE Thanks
a4 abt

a4 abt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz

I read on another Mac forum that someone got a nice deal from CompUSA. The store is closing and clearing all it's inventory.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

My cousin got his in Boston, used, excellent condition for $1000. A 17" too. It was the earlier models, still good though.
QUOTE Thanks
density

im not too keen on getting a used laptop or a refurb no matter in how good of a condition it is...just a personal preference...id like to be able to blame any problem either on apple or my usage and not have to wonder what the last person did to it...

anyways...couldnt find any on compusa...deffinitely considering macmall...any other suggestions ?
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I got mine refurbished from MacMall for $2,200ish.
QUOTE Thanks
density

theres one listed on macmall for $2000 or so...it doesnt say refurb but it just seems too cheap to be for real...

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/famil...o~promo~24.asp

says its closeout...but...is it just them clearing stock ? or is it the same one advertised for $2800 on apple.com ?

if anyone could answer those questions, well, bless you...
QUOTE Thanks
density

aah...diff video card...
QUOTE Thanks
836byK9

836byK9 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15.4 matte screen 2.2 Ghz C2D 120GB HD NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM

My dad bought a new iMac from Macmall. It was a great deal. It also came in the retail box. If it was refurbished it would have came in a plain box but. I bought my MBP from Apple as refurbished and it came in the plain box. This is how apple does things. Also Macmall would have to have some sort of disclaimer stating the item was refurbished. The iMac my dad bought said nothing of the sort.
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4 abt View Post
I read on another Mac forum that someone got a nice deal from CompUSA. The store is closing and clearing all it's inventory.
we have two compusa's in town, the the mac's are only 10% off, then whatever doesn't sell, simply gets shipped back to apple. no major discounts here.
QUOTE Thanks
density

well, 10% off 2600 is still a good $260...which would be awesome...although i dont know if i still get my education discount from them...which would get me 10% off 2800...would be awesome if i could get one for 2400 or something...if not, then ill just end up dishing the 2600+tax for one...not like im complaining...but being a college student i wanna get the most out of my money, while still getting a 100% new, non refurb mbp...
QUOTE Thanks
density

anyone ?
QUOTE Thanks
margaret438

margaret438 is on a distinguished road

you can go to the apple site - i think at the very bottom they have a link to their resellers.
QUOTE Thanks
SoCal_Tomato

SoCal_Tomato is on a distinguished road

I used to work for macmall.com / pcmall.com /ecost.com ... They're a legit shop...at one time the largest Apple reseller...but I haven't worked there in a few years so as for their market reseller share, I don't know anymore...just an FYI
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

I remember when Macmall was a major Apple reseller (maybe they still are) back before the days of the internet. They seemed to be reputable back then, but you may want to take a look at this first:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/MacMall

Amazon is offering the Pro for $2,609 after their rebate (I got my iMac through them, and just got back my $100 rebate). Free shipping, no tax. Not a bad deal.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« does Mac have something like | New short cut to folder »