New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mac Pro - Mac Pro as Windows Desktop replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Horness

Horness is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb

I've had my MacBook for 1 week, and already I'm considering scrapping my upgrade plans for my Windows (Vista) based desktop, and putting in a Mac Pro.
The idea, generally, is to replace the tower with a Pro Quad Core 2 x 2.88Ghz 2GB/320Gb unit, and look at either VMWare, or Bootcamp to get any Windows specific apps running.

I have a few questions regarding the hardware in my PC before I shell out even more money on Apple products this month
  1. Can I continue to use my 21" Belinea 10 20 35W monitor?
  2. Will my existing 750Gb SATAII disk work as a 2nd drive?
  3. Will my 640Mb PCI-X GeForce 8800GT card work?
  4. Will my existing 4Gb of DDR2 5300 work inside the Mac Pro?

Help, advice, opinions and donations all appreciated!

Horness
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horness View Post
Will my existing 4Gb of DDR2 5300 work inside the Mac Pro?

No you will need the following: PC6400 DDR2 ECC 800MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Horness

Horness is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post

No you will need the following: PC6400 DDR2 ECC 800MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules
Thanks.

Also - I have a USB 320Gb HDD (Formac brand) which I've formatted with my MacBook, and created 2 partitions. 1 of the partitions is set for Time Machine on my MacBook. Can I set the other parition as Time Machine for the Mac Pro ?

Thanks
Horness
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
  1. Will my 640Mb PCI-X GeForce 8800GT card work?
No, the mac pro is PCIe 2.0 so you can't use PCI-X cards. However, if you like the 8800GT it is available as an upgrade option for an pretty reasonable $200 US

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
brucealeg

brucealeg is on a distinguished road

I don't think there are any PCI-X 8800GT out there. I think he has an express and that should work, once he has drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

Quote:
  1. Can I continue to use my 21" Belinea 10 20 35W monitor?
  2. Will my existing 750Gb SATAII disk work as a 2nd drive?
Monitor should work, but you may need an adaptor (available from Apple for about $20).

HD should work, but you'll need to reformat in HFS+.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« macbook air's Life?! | List of Macnoob questions »