New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook - AppleCare or More RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

For my upcoming birthday, my mom has promised me $200 to spend as I choose. I decided that I either want to get AppleCare for my MacBook, or upgrade to 3GB of RAM from OWC.

I've read in a lot of consumer magazines that extended warranties are usually not worth the extra money, but having had to take my MacBook in for a fan problem (later revealed to just be a faulty power supply), I wonder if the AppleCare isn't a good investment. I've got till July to get the AppleCare, and it's only $183 with my student discount, so I could definitely cover it with the $200, but at the same time, the 1GB of RAM I have now is kinda limiting me in my Photoshop work and my other day to day tasks.

So, should I take the plunge and get the AppleCare, or should I invest in the RAM upgrade instead?

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

AppleCare. If something ever goes wrong, you'll wish you had the extra 2 years of service. AppleCare is a must for laptop owners. RAM is dirt cheap, I thought I saw a 4GB kit for $80 last week.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
fletch33

fletch33 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz

applecare would be my vote as well.

ram is cheap these days and im sure you can come up with some way to make a few bucks to get some ram sometime soon
QUOTE Thanks
morgothaod

morgothaod is on a distinguished road

cheap RAM here http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

applecare, priced batteries lately,glad i had it they just replaced mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Rambaud

Rambaud is on a distinguished road

I went for Applecare - even at £200.00
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

4gb is about 70$. buy that yourself

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Depends on if you'll be able to afford AppleCare before time runs out to buy it. If so, I'd get the RAM. If you can't afford AppleCare prior to the time running out then I'd get it now.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
morgothaod

morgothaod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
4gb is about 70$. buy that yourself
Where did you see it for $70? (yes, lazy)
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I got AppleCare with my Mac, and have invoked it three times.

Then I got AppleCare for my wife's Mac, and have invoked it once. Well, okay that was a warrantee thing that technically didn't fall under the AppleCare, but it would potentially fall under that later, and she and I are covered for the next two years.

I did upgrade my RAM from 1GB to 2GB, but that only cost me $90 or so, and with price cycles you will be able to get RAM for way less than you can ever get AppleCare. You can shop for RAM. You cannot shop for AppleCare, and it's a no-brainer really. At least for those who went "Oh, I'll get the RAM or some other doo-dad and risk the AppleCare" and ended up with some failure that Apple will be happy to repair....

For $700. Or sell you a new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek McNelly View Post
I've read in a lot of consumer magazines that extended warranties are usually not worth the extra money
The key word there is "usually."

Laptops are sufficiently expensive and unreliable that extended warranties are a good idea. Not the same as something like a refrigerator that will likely last for ten years without problems, or an answering machine that only costs $20 to replace.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

AppleCare it is then!

Here's hoping my phone doesn't crap out on me before I can get that, because then I have a whole different animal to deal with.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro vs MacBook??? | GoogleTalk in iChat and iSight »