New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MacBook Pro vs MacBook???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dodgesrtx

Dodgesrtx is on a distinguished road

OK Now I am even more confused. I am going to buy either a Macbook or Macbook Pro for my business. I will be using the laptop for photo editing, and the laptop also needs to be able to display 1920x1080p resolution on a 42" tv. I want to be able to do the photo editing quickly as well. Occasoionally I will like to do some video editing on the go in Adobe After Effects, until I build my video editing tower. Will the Macbook be able to handle after effects with the lack of a dedicated video card? Based on the above scenario which laptop would be best.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgesrtx View Post
.....for my business. .....photo editing, .....needs to be able to display 1920x1080p resolution on a 42" tv. .....be able to do the photo editing quickly .... video editing on the go in Adobe After Effects, ........ Based on the above scenario which laptop would be best.
Hands down, the MacBook Pro is the one you want/need.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Yeah definitely the MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Dodgesrtx

Thanks. Is the 128mb graphics card really going to be enough for using After Effects, or Maybe Final Cut Studio?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

As far as Final Cut Studio goes, it depends on what you are using it for. See system requirements:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html

Note that Final Cut Studio CANNOT run on a MacBook... just the MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
rianm7

rianm7 is on a distinguished road

256 is probably 'safer', as you will see a performance boost with it, 128 will work, but it will show better performance with 256.

2.2 GHZ 15.4" MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600 and 2GB RAM

8GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Weird Fish

Weird Fish will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vindicat3d View Post
Yeah definitely the MacBook Pro
Hands down.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgesrtx View Post
Thanks. Is the 128mb graphics card really going to be enough for using After Effects, or Maybe Final Cut Studio?
128 MB is just fine with my PowerBook. Just be sure to beef up the system RAM. System RAM is going to have a much bigger impact on performance than the graphics RAM with those apps.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

I put together this comparison chart of the MB, MBA, and MBP. You can find it HERE.

If you want video editing I'd definitely say MBP.

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
Dodgesrtx

Ok thanks I was going to upgrade the ram to 4gb on both machines.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where It's At | AppleCare or More RAM? »