New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What if Apple did this..?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snicker

Hi folks, this is my first post. I'm a pc user contemplating a x-over.
I was thinking about apples future and what they should do.
What if apple did this.. Make mac os available on intel pc's.
Then just concentrate on making great software for mac os, that the whole world would have access to. Then we'd all have a real choice of operating system, windows, mac os and even linux!
If apple wants to continue making hardware then they should move over to intel themselves and position themselves as a sort of designer 'pc' (which they are at the moment).
What do you guy's think?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Bad idea: Apple doesn't just want to sell pretty pc's. They want to sell a complete package that fits like a glove first time you use it.

Agreed: OS X on intel processors would be excellent and hugely succesfull.
But then you'd have different hardware, faulty memory, and all sorts of other variables to contend with, which combined could ruin the OS X experience.

No, Apple wants to sell hardware & Software. They already use IBM processors, so why use intel's? Plus Intel doesn't make pc's, only processors...
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Bad idea: Apple doesn't just want to sell pretty pc's. They want to sell a complete package that fits like a glove first time you use it.

Agreed: OS X on intel processors would be excellent and hugely succesfull.
But then you'd have different hardware, faulty memory, and all sorts of other variables to contend with, which combined could ruin the OS X experience.

No, Apple wants to sell hardware & Software. They already use IBM processors, so why use intel's? Plus Intel doesn't make pc's, only processors...
They use motorola processors as well.
QUOTE Thanks
VastDeathmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich

Just FYI, Intel makes more than just Processors and chipsets.
In a round about way, Intel makes computers, they just don't sell them as such. They make everything needed to make a PC in the same manner that Apple does. The difference is a fancy case and a cool operating system.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

See my signature.

One major issue is that OS X for Intel wouldn't have any native apps.
QUOTE Thanks
Acill

Acill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2

The last thing you want is OS X on X86 hardware. The main reason
Windows is so unstable al lot of the time is because all the odd
hardware has to be supported. In a closed system like the Mac you can
fine tune the OS to the hardware because most everyone has the same
thing. It makes for the awsome look and feel we all love.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

This is a very interesting point
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry, I know that the PowerPC is a Motorola & IBM joint project, I was oversimplifying...

I also know that Intel makes Chipsets & other PC components, but the fact is, they choose NOT to make complete PC systems...

Maybe they don't want to enter such a competitive market...

The point I was trying to make is that Apple aren't selling pretty boxes with any old operating system: They are selling a solution with stable hardware, software, easy-to-use apps and decent accessories that work well together.

Re: Technologist:

So company's would have to port there apps to the x86 plattform. Would that be so hard? When apple switched from OS9 to OS X, most apps had to be redesigned...
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Hi folks, this is my first post. I'm a pc user contemplating a x-over.
I was thinking about apples future and what they should do.
What if apple did this.. Make mac os available on intel pc's.
Then just concentrate on making great software for mac os, that the whole world would have access to. Then we'd all have a real choice of operating system, windows, mac os and even linux!
If apple wants to continue making hardware then they should move over to intel themselves and position themselves as a sort of designer 'pc' (which they are at the moment).
What do you guy's think?
Dude, you're missing the whole point of a Mac. Apple makes everything in their computers, which is one of the main reasons why everything in a Mac just works. If Apple made Macs available on Windows PC's, it wouldn't be the same because all PC manufacturers would start making Mac clones that wouldn't work half as well as Macs do today.

I think you should get a Mac and find out for yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Apple's independent view is why most mac users continue using. There is a quality they can offer, that no one else can. They may never be as big as the windows pc world, but they're not going anywhere... Now that i've experince the mac, I'll always have a mac. There is just something about their risk architecture, and unix base that makes them different. Going to intel would break this...it would make them the same, and just looking different. They just need to keep doing what they're doing...especially with the iPod...computers will continue to sell, and hopefully grow...if not, they've got me...don't get me wrong..I still have a pc, and always plan to, but it's a different world...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back and forth | Deleting Partition (no installation cd) »