New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Merging Folders

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imme

imme is on a distinguished road

i have a "music" folder on my mac and a "music" folder on my USB hard drive which i share between computers and i want to keep the one on the Hdd up to date, eg I may download some extra music in the mac music folder and want to add them to the already existing folder on the Hdd with out overwriting the whole folder and its contents.

With windows I am used to copying a folder over to the new location (which contains an old folder with not so many music tracks in it) and windows would give me the option of just updating the destination folder with music files in the folder i'm copying, that were not already in there.

on my mac it seems that the only option i get when doing the same thing is to overwrite the whole folder that is already there with the new one and i cant seem to find a way of just merging it with the already existing one so nothing is replaced, just added.

Im not sure if i explained my problem properly but hopefully you understand. How do you go about merging folders or files already in a folder wit a mac?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

As you have foound there is no merge function in OS X or unix. If you are using iTunes to manage your music you just drop them on the iTunes application. It should tell you if you want ot overwrite any of your duplicates. If you are not using iTunes to manage the data, then you will need to have two of the same windows open. Then you can drag and drop into one of them. When it prompts you to overwrite the data don't (do not do a copy of folder on folder, because you will lose data).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« QuicktimePlugin.class issue | External Hard-drive »