New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

desktop wallpaper blurry pics

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vince0501

vince0501 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

20" iMac. Whenever I select a picture from my iPhoto pics to use as my desktop wallpaper, the image is blurry and distorted. Is there a setting I need to change to make it work? If I downsize resolution, it just shrinks the pic to not fill the screen. I'm sure there is an easy answer....I just can't figure it out.
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

It sounds like the images that you are selecting have low resolution to begin with. How large is each image file?

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
jeremyhung

jeremyhung is on a distinguished road

First, check that your picture isn't blurry itself. If it's not, go to system preferences (I'm a Windows user so not sure if this is how you do it), then change your screen resolution to the one that your computer screen pixelation is. The bigger the clearer (usually). I'm not sure if this is how you do it but this is probably the reason.

Jeremy
QUOTE Thanks
davidsword

davidsword is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook

lol don't alter your desktops resolution to accommodate a background as posted above, thats ridicules.. make sure your image as suggested in the first reply are good quality and not-to-small or, not-to-big.

also incase you missed it, in the desktop section in system preferences, theres several options for positioning the wall (Fit to screen, Fill screen, Stretch, Center, Tile)
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Is it also possible that the picture you are posting as wallpaper is of a smaller pixel dimension than your display? In this case, OS X has to stretch it, and that may be causing the blurriness. Make sure that your wallpaper is the same pixel size as your screen and it will be crisper.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Jonnic

Jonnic is on a distinguished road

Did you get this resolved in the end? I have the same problem. Mine started when I had to re-boot my Mac and re-installed my photos from a hard drive. They show fine in iPhoto but not as wallpaper. John
QUOTE Thanks
LadyInRed

LadyInRed is on a distinguished road

In addition to what everyone else has said, you might want to consider getting some wallpaper from http://interfacelift.com/ . They have a nice selection of high resolution widescreen images, that look absolutely stunning. Check your desktop resolution and download the proper size.
QUOTE Thanks
shfle

shfle will become famous soon enough

Good call LadyInRed.

A couple of others that I use are:-

http://www.michaelsmac.com/ This just basically gives you links to new/unusual desktops(Wallpapers) and icons etc.

http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/wallpaper/ Massive selection of high quality images

http://studiotwentyeight.com/wallpapers.htm Not the biggest selection but very high quality
QUOTE Thanks
nicky12882

nicky12882 is on a distinguished road

first check the size of your screen and then goggle desktop photos for that size
When you find an image online right click it and download it,
Next preview it, while in preview export it to your desktop
Then right click it off of your desktop and click set as desktop picture.
if the picture is really small it still may be blurry

If its photos you have taken then it is probably the resolution of your camera
Hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Welcome to the Mac Forums Nicky.

Please observe the date of the thread you're replying to. This particular one is over 6 years old. Thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky12882 View Post
first check the size of your screen and then goggle desktop photos for that size
When you find an image online right click it and download it,
Next preview it, while in preview export it to your desktop
Then right click it off of your desktop and click set as desktop picture.
if the picture is really small it still may be blurry

If its photos you have taken then it is probably the resolution of your camera
Hope this helps
And just too add to this, before its closed down so the Spammers don't come, if you look for something way bigger than your screen size, say 6000x4000, your screen will automatically resize to the screen size, so don't fret on finding something exact.

Cheers

PS: Now you can close it Charlie

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Email in Time Machine | Server, media centre, where do I start? »