New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jeremyhung

jeremyhung is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm currently using a 15.4"inch Vaio FE48G/H, 2.0GHz, 1GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive laptop. I'm using Vista Home Premium. I've been using this since April last year.

It didn't take me too long before I realized that what I do, which is editing photos and videos, would be 100% better on a Mac. After a few minutes looking at the models in apple.com, I decided that the MacBook Pro is the best choice. There are three models: 2.2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB Hard Drive or 2.4GHz, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard DRive or 2.6Ghz, 2GB Ram, 160GB Hard Drive.

I don't have a budget as high as the Mac Pro, but which model is most worth getting? (2.2,2.4,2.6GHz)

I will mostly be using Photoshop, Final Cut Express, Lightroom and iLife.

I also have another question, (for MacBook Pro users) will the general colour (body) of the MacBook Pro turn brownish yellowish after a while? Because I've seen MacBook Pros mostly in videos, that their silver body have turned yellowy as if it have been dipped in mud.

Thanks
Jeremy
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

For the best bang for your buck, you can stick to the 2.2 Ghz model but consider maxing out the RAM to 4 Gb. You can buy RAM from 3rd parties MUCH cheaper than from Apple, so buy it with the least amount of RAM possible, then get new, compatible sticks from another source.

As for color changing... not likely. I've had my PowerBook for 5 years now... still perfectly silver (albeit dinged up a bit)
QUOTE Thanks
Fabala

Fabala is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AlumiMac24/MBP

I agree with lifeisabeach... and as it is way cheaper to buy new RAM outside of Apple, it is also very easy to install. About color, my MBP shows no signs of color changes... still silver as ever. You said you've seen them in videos looking like mud: could it be that the silver is just reflecting the lighting being used to make the video? I know in my office where the main color is green, the silver reflects a green tint of sorts.
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

drh3010 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhung View Post
It didn't take me too long before I realized that what I do, which is editing photos and videos, would be 100% better on a Mac.
Not necessarily. Software for Windows works fine. I noticed your account name references this guy.
QUOTE Thanks
jeremyhung

jeremyhung is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies...

Lol Ron Jeremy? Anyways, can anyone explain what GHz actually does? Like I know that higher is better, but for higher GHzs, in what way will the speed increase in? I'm mostlikely getting the 2.4Ghz as it's a little cheaper.

Jeremy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Syncing | Macbook Pro Question (newbie) »