New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New to Mac what tune up programs do i need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mulese951

mulese951 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17'' Imac 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB DDR SDRAM

i am new to mac i was wondering what programs i need to keep it up and running at tip top speed. i know on windows you need anitvirus, u need to defrag every month and a whole bunch of other stuff but what do i need one here. I am running mac os x version 10.5.1 if that helps at all thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

To be honest, you don't really need anything. You don't need antivirus since there are no Mac viruses. You don't need a defrag program since OS X does it automatically. And you don't need spyware/adware scanning apps because again, you don't get those on the Mac. And OS X doesn't suffer the same performance decrease over time that Windows does.

There are programs out there that do cleaning of temporary files and caches, but you don't need to do this regularly to keep the system running at full speed. If you leave your Mac on 24/7, it'll do this automatically.

But if you really need these apps, check out MainMenu and Onyx.

Oh, and welcome to Mac-Forums. You'll find yourself with a lot more time on your hands now that you don't have to do regular maintenance.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

If you communicate with PCs or download to your mac side to run on your PC side (this is advisable because surfing and downloading is much safer on the mac side) then the free clamx antivirus is sufficient. (I'm not sure if you need a better one on the PC side). I've only heard that virii don't 'run' on mac, but I haven't heard much about it NOT being able to be passed. http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6126_102...sageID=2520777 If you know that you and none of your friends/work whatever will ever communicate with a PC or you don't run PC on Parallels or Bootcamp then you will not need a virus scanner otherwise you do...

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Per Kash, you need one of OnyX or MainMenu. Both of these enable you to do regular OS X routine maintenance, which keeps your Mac in tip top shape. Either of these two fine programs will do just what you need. Get one of them and run the routine maintenance scripts once a week.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Agree with mac57 and if you wish to purchase a maintenance program, suggest you make it DiskWarriior 4. Best HDD diagnostic and repair tool around.
QUOTE Thanks
mulese951

thanks for the help it will give me way more time on my hands running some virus scanner that does not even delete the virus it just tells me there is one. Oh and one more thing does anyone know how to restore or what the point of the photo vault i made it while still using Tiger then upgraded, made it for a backup what do i do with it now? how do i get the photos back? it is 4kb on the drive did i loose the photos if so any way to recover them?
QUOTE Thanks
traveler09

traveler09 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Imac 24 Inch

Man is that true. I find myself with all kinds of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
To be honest, you don't really need anything. You don't need antivirus since there are no Mac viruses. You don't need a defrag program since OS X does it automatically. And you don't need spyware/adware scanning apps because again, you don't get those on the Mac. And OS X doesn't suffer the same performance decrease over time that Windows does.

There are programs out there that do cleaning of temporary files and caches, but you don't need to do this regularly to keep the system running at full speed. If you leave your Mac on 24/7, it'll do this automatically.

But if you really need these apps, check out MainMenu and Onyx.

Oh, and welcome to Mac-Forums. You'll find yourself with a lot more time on your hands now that you don't have to do regular maintenance.
QUOTE Thanks
mulese951

so can anyone help me with the photo vault problem i want those photos back if possible plz help
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

You might find better results posting this as a new post either here or one of the other forum headings (maybe here, software or digital lifestyle?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulese951 View Post
so can anyone help me with the photo vault problem i want those photos back if possible plz help

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Agree with mac57 and if you wish to purchase a maintenance program, suggest you make it DiskWarriior 4. Best HDD diagnostic and repair tool around.
I agree with harry: DiskWarrior. And of course, MainMenu. That's what I use anyhow.
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

Does Main Menu or other programs muck up the registery etc? I know some of the windows maintaince programs did muck things up and delete files which should not be removed, even if the user knows about these files or not.

I too keep thinking I need to clean my mac of dropped uninstalled files and cache pics etc but don't want to remove files etc that may cause problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Mjc.americor

Mjc.americor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz

Im going to say that you dont need any tune up programs, one thing that helps is to stay organized with you files.
Welcome to the mac-world.

15.4" MacBook Pro Unibody
2.4GHz 4GB Ram and 500GB HD nVidia Geforce 9600
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiJenn View Post
Does Main Menu or other programs muck up the registery etc? I know some of the windows maintaince programs did muck things up and delete files which should not be removed, even if the user knows about these files or not.

I too keep thinking I need to clean my mac of dropped uninstalled files and cache pics etc but don't want to remove files etc that may cause problems.
MainMenu does almost all what OnyX does but is more convenient and, OnyX can be dangerous to use if you don't know what you are doing: MainMenu is less confusing, IMO.

DiskWarrior repairs damaged directories and saved my hide on a few occasions.
QUOTE Thanks
rokkitt

rokkitt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ++24" imac 3ghz / may-08+ ibook G3-500mhz-10g-384m-12", nov-07 +G4 quicksilver 867 mhz/512MB july/08

trying onyx now...hope it works
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

Let us know how it went

I download Onyx not so long ago and still haven't used it. I might get MainMenu if it's less complicated lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkitt View Post
trying onyx now...hope it works
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Macbook won't eject a DVD. | Apple noob with some essential questions. »