New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MBP running slow sometimes.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rianm7

rianm7 is on a distinguished road

i have had my Macbook Pro for about a month now and i love it, except for sometimes it is just slow. The time it takes for it to boot up seems longer than it did the first time i started it up, and a few apps are running slow too. just about every time i do something in iPhoto, i get the swirley-wait sign for about 5-10 seconds, even if i'm just moving a photo, or if i am in full-screen. i checked the Activity Monitor and everything seems to be fine, and i got rid of uneeded photos, movies, apps, and documents. i even cleared the Safari cache. also, applications seem to take longer starting up than they did when i first got the MBP. i just got this thing a month ago, any ideas on any other measure to take?

2.2 GHZ 15.4" MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600 and 2GB RAM

8GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
MUMacUser

MUMacUser is on a distinguished road

Pop in the system CD and do a repair permissions / repair disk..

Also, its not a bad idea to have a program like Onyx to run maintenance scripts for you / clear internet cache / etc.. I run mine every 2 weeks or so... or if the computer is acting sluggish, I will run it.

See if any of those helps
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

You can do that from disk utility. You dont need to put in the system disk.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Two things you can try:

1/ Check for any widgets or programs that are PPC native. You can see this in Activity Monitor, in one of the right most columns of each process's display. If you are running PPC stuff, the Rosetta interpreter is running and that is slower. You might want to see if you can live without any of these.

2/ Get OnyX, a system maintenance package (freeware) and run its maintenance scripts. Then reboot. The first reboot after an OnyX run is always a little slower than normal, since OS X has to repopulate a bunch of caches, but after that, you should notice your Mac running faster. You can get OnyX at:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

You should run OnyX about once a week to keep your Mac running at full tilt. By the way, there are several packages that do more or less the same thing as OnyX, so if you know of others, feel free to use one of them instead. I'd name a few of them except that I seem to be having a "senior moment" just now - can't think of any others!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
rianm7

rianm7 is on a distinguished road

thank you very much!!

2.2 GHZ 15.4" MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 8600 and 2GB RAM

8GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Windows Xp Pro to Mac! | New potentional Mac User... »