New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

correct way to uninstall?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

djflair1

djflair1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MACBOOK PRO 2.6ghz 4gb ram

Just wondering if you could tell me the correct way to uninstall dont want to leave a load of old files behind! Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Zak.Blair

Zak.Blair is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook - 2.2Ghz / 1gb / 120gb / Leopard

Hi,

I use Appzapper, really easy to use, all you do is drag and drop the thing you want unistalled into the box and hey presto the app and all its files will be deleted. Costs about $12, but imo worth every penny.

Macbook
8gb iPhone
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Drag the application to the trash...if it needs an uninstaller it will have come with one.

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

While The Vindicat3d is absolutely correct, you are probably wondering why programs like AppZapper and AppDelete exist. Sometimes little traces of a program are left behind. They usually amount to little or nothing, but are there nonetheless. If that bothers you, the aforementioned programs help to eradicate those little files as well.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

I got AppZapper as part of the MacHesit deal. Prior to that I just dragged the app to the trashcan and then typed the application name into spotlight and deleted the few files that remained. That said, AppZapper is a fun little app. Just drap the application to the AppZapper window and hit zap. The screen flashes and you hear a "zap" sound. It gives you a little smile when you delete an app, pretty cool! One nice thing about AppZapper too is that most of the time it will also delete the install media (dmg file).

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks
cycler48

cycler48 is on a distinguished road

My personal experience with AppZapper is that it did not delete all the files associated with a program. I had to go in and route out some files manually. With AppZapper you get a free trial ... download it and see if you like it.
QUOTE Thanks
macsnail

macsnail is on a distinguished road

I've been using AppTrap, seem to do the job nicely without fuss.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« First Post from a Switcher | G5 Performance »