New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Im converted :-)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NZer

NZer is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2.4ghz 24"

Hi Guys

I have been an avid PC user ever since they were invented, i teach PC computer concepts and applications for a living.

Recently i purchased a Imac and it took me a week to be completely converted!! why cant windows be so hassle free

I have bootcamp plus Parrelells running with vista and its awesome when i have to use windows (Yuk) lol

Just one question please.. everytime i install an application it asks for a password could someone tell me how i can turn this off?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Firstly - welcome

You cannot turn that off and you should not want to.

Since the OS is based on UNix, you have to have administrator privileges to install apps.

The password thing also makes it very difficult for viruses and trojans to install, since you would suddenly get an unexpected admin password request as the virus tried to install

It goes some of the way to explain why malware is almost non existent on macs, they need your password to install
QUOTE Thanks
NZer

Thanks for your help

The only reason i want this turned off is because everytime i start Parrellels i have to type in a password which is odd because im not installing just opening.

Ah well i will just have to live with it i guess

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

Hey welcome! Glad you like your Mac.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
James-

James- will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen

I don't see why someone carnt like there mac lolz

"What you know you know, what you don't ant worth knowing!" Me
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZer View Post
The only reason i want this turned off is because everytime i start Parrellels i have to type in a password which is odd because im not installing just opening.
That doesn't sound right. Did you install Parallels via a CD or a download? What is the exact popup screen saying when it is asking for a password?
QUOTE Thanks
beltragx

beltragx is on a distinguished road

That is correct. It needs the password so it can gain root level permissions to his bootcamp partition. VMware Fusion does the same.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

I believe that you can actually change whether or not you want to enter a password every time you either install a program or change a critical setting parameter on your OS, but I would not recommend that you do so. By requiring that the system ask for your password, you are in effect confirming and providing authorization to critical changes to your computer. You have direct control over that process.

UNIX based Mac OS X is nice, isn't it?... ;-)

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltragx View Post
That is correct. It needs the password so it can gain root level permissions to his bootcamp partition. VMware Fusion does the same.
That is different from how I run Parallels. I use disk images, not boot camp. A password is not required for me. I'm running version 2.5.
QUOTE Thanks
NZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
That is different from how I run Parallels. I use disk images, not boot camp. A password is not required for me. I'm running version 2.5.
Oh ok so obviously if you use a disk image opposed to bootcamp a password isnt required. Oh well i prefer bootcamp so everything is connected e.g i can install games etc via parrallels and reboot to play them in bootcamp if needed.

QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Oh ok so obviously if you use a disk image opposed to bootcamp a password isnt required. Oh well i prefer bootcamp so everything is connected e.g i can install games etc via parrallels and reboot to play them in bootcamp if needed.

Don't you need 2 licenses to do that?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
NZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Don't you need 2 licenses to do that?
Of course you dont, its the same operating system on one computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Of course you dont, its the same operating system on one computer.
If you install Windows on a 'real' machine and a 'virtual' machine (even if physically the same computer), the software asks you to activate it separately, because it thinks its been installed on two separate machines.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
If you install Windows on a 'real' machine and a 'virtual' machine (even if physically the same computer), the software asks you to activate it separately, because it thinks its been installed on two separate machines.
You don't 'install' it twice.

You install it in boot camp. Parallels just recognizes this and gives you access to it. One copy of Windows. One install. Two ways of accessing it.

mrplow
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
You don't 'install' it twice.

You install it in boot camp. Parallels just recognizes this and gives you access to it. One copy of Windows. One install. Two ways of accessing it.

mrplow
I know that, it was a bad choice of words on my side. The fact is, when you run XP for the 1st time, say on Bootcamp, it knows what hardware its running on for activation. When you then access the partition from parallels, it thinks you've changed the hardware and would ask for activation again.

Quote:
One word of warning, each installation will require activation but both setups are recognized as separate PCs so only one will activate. If you intend on trying both Boot Camp and Parallels then I advise delaying activation until you have made your decision on which to use.
From here

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« RDP Remote Desktop App? | .Trash ? »