New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

switching!!! need guidance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officehelper

:confused:

I currently have a home made PC at home, and use a iMac at work. the more I use it the more I like it. (except for the fact that I have trouble finding programs for it)

But Instead of spending money on a pc, I want to look at a notebook mac.
this is what I'll use it for.

1. Photos: i am a photographer and I would like to be able to scan photos and archve them as well as manipulate them

2. Music: I am a songwriter but don't play any instruments I'd like to be able to have an extensive database of music, and be able to create song sheets of my music

3. Movies, I'd like the capabilities of creating movies from pics and video (effortlessly)

4. and I'll need to be able to have word, powerpoint and excell at home for work stuff.

don't know what i'll need or what it'll cost, but the way i see it why not go with the computers that were made for this stuff. right?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

1. For organizing photos, iPhoto is included. To manipulate them, either Photoshop Elements or the full Photoshop CS. And a good digital camera and/or scanner, of course.

2. GarageBand might be what you need, but I'm not much of a musician, so I'll leave this to those that are.

3. iMovie is as simple as it gets. Drag-and-drop your photos in, record from a FireWire camcorder, and drag-and-drop to arrange everything.

4. Office it is, then.
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

I've got the latest version of Office 2004 for Mac and it's better than the Windows one!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

2)

Well garageband comes with an extensive loop selection than can be expanded with various 3rd party loops and apple's own expansion pack.

Other music apps would be digital performer, logic 6 (express & pro), protools (obviously ) and reason.

Check out macmusic.org for info on making music on the mac..

But the bundled garageband is probably enough to mess around with at first.

Btw, how are you a songwriter if you don't play an instrument? (not being mean, just inquisitive )
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by officehelper
:confused:

I currently have a home made PC at home, and use a iMac at work. the more I use it the more I like it. (except for the fact that I have trouble finding programs for it)

But Instead of spending money on a pc, I want to look at a notebook mac.
this is what I'll use it for.

1. Photos: i am a photographer and I would like to be able to scan photos and archve them as well as manipulate them

2. Music: I am a songwriter but don't play any instruments I'd like to be able to have an extensive database of music, and be able to create song sheets of my music

3. Movies, I'd like the capabilities of creating movies from pics and video (effortlessly)

4. and I'll need to be able to have word, powerpoint and excell at home for work stuff.

don't know what i'll need or what it'll cost, but the way i see it why not go with the computers that were made for this stuff. right?
Well, Mac is perfect for pretty much all you need to do.

1) iPhoto is perfect for what you have to do. It organizes photos brilliantly. You can even do a bit of editing with them, like taking out red-eye, making them black-and-white, etc. iPhoto comes with every new Mac, so you won't have to buy anything extra.

2) iTunes is really good for organizing songs in MP3 or whatever, but if you want to get into designing songs, use GarageBand. I play the Alto Sax and GarageBand is absolutely brilliant. It's really simple to use and it has quite a few preinstalled loops for you to mess around with . Unfortunately you can't create sheet music with GarageBand, for that get Band-In-A-Box or CuBase. iTunes and GarageBand come free with every new Mac, but BIAB and CB don't.

3) iMovie is where it's at. It's easy, fun, and it just works. And it comes free with every new Mac. iMovie rocks, and so does Mac

4) Office for Mac is available, and the Mac version comes out before the PC version (Example: Office 2004 for Mac is available, whereas the best version PC users have at this point is 2003).

What's your profession? I'd say go for the iBook if you're going to be doing routine stuff most of the time, but if you're going to get really involved in music go for the PowerBook by all means, as it's much more powerful and it's damn smexy . Also iMovie runs better on a PowerBook.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
2)
Btw, how are you a songwriter if you don't play an instrument? (not being mean, just inquisitive )

Good question. I write the lyrics, and the tune is in my head. I sit down with a pianist and sing it, and they write the notes. then i meet with the instruments and tell them what i hear. I then have a fella who knows how to write sheet music,a nd he figures out the timing and things like that.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Good question. I write the lyrics, and the tune is in my head. I sit down with a pianist and sing it, and they write the notes. then i meet with the instruments and tell them what i hear. I then have a fella who knows how to write sheet music,a nd he figures out the timing and things like that.
Well, GarageBand does pretty much everything your pianist does. There are like a gazillion different loops, play around with them and you'll probably hear sections that were in your brain. Put them all together and make a song. Or, get SoundTrack for a few hundred if you really want to get professional. But GarageBand works really well.

And have you decided if you're getting an iBook or PowerBook yet?

Good luck,
m1k
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k
And have you decided if you're getting an iBook or PowerBook yet?
m1k

Well, not sure. I tend to fill up computers quickly with programs, music and photos, so prob the one that has the most memory and speed. do you happen to know if there is a discount to be had if I order it through the company I work for?
QUOTE Thanks
[emblym]

im sure there is a company discount, but you would need to talk to them about that. another option that is really great is student discount. do you have any kids in grade school, high school, oir college? or maybe your still in school yourself? its a GREAT deal that can save you hundreds of dollars
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

it only works for college students though - high school and grade school's don't count for it.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yes they do, at least in germany...
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Well, not sure. I tend to fill up computers quickly with programs, music and photos, so prob the one that has the most memory and speed. do you happen to know if there is a discount to be had if I order it through the company I work for?
I don't think there's a discount unless you're a student or a teacher, sorry

Anyways, it sounds like you need a PowerBook. With a 60GB hard drive, up to 2GB RAM and processor speeds up to 1.5GHz, PowerBooks are what you need! Sorry, I'm starting to sound like an Apple salesman. But PowerBooks are the way to go for what you want. If you want portability, get the 12", if you want power, get the 17", if you want the best of both, get the 15".

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
[emblym]

Quote:
it only works for college students though - high school and grade school's don't count for it.
most defintaly NOT true. any student grade school thru college may recieve a student discount........ask me how i know
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by [emblym]
most defintaly NOT true. any student grade school thru college may recieve a student discount........ask me how i know
I'd LOVE to bet you a dollar - but since I know there's no way I'd mail you a dollar in the event that I lost, instead I'll bet you...a gmail account. (hehe) Care to take the wager?
QUOTE Thanks
[emblym]

Quote:
I'd LOVE to bet you a dollar - but since I know there's no way I'd mail you a dollar in the event that I lost, instead I'll bet you...a gmail account. (hehe) Care to take the wager?
sure ill take emblym@gmail.com

heres a link and, by the way i purchased one under student discount.......and i am in highschool.

http://www.apple.com/education/

browse around and find the student discount section and click K-12. enter your zip or city and find your school. i live in a VERY VERY small town in ohio... and my towns elementary school, middle school, and of course high school was all listed.

btw im just kidding about the gmail account i dont really want one.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OS 9.2 IE file problem | Disk Cleanup? »