New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

File maker? I need answers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officehelper

I have no formal training in Filemaker, just learning by reading and trial and error. I have several questions but don't know where to ask them.

I need to know

1. is it possible to set up our client database to link into our letters and agreements (in word) we send (this will aid in speed when preparing standard agreements envelopes, ect)

2. Also is it possible to create another databse that will link into specific clients accounts with all their acct info (ie employees they hired due datea and outstanding $ that will be linked into a main database that will help us keep track of outstandings and paids)

3. I'm also looking for a program that will allow me to send and receive faxes on the computer. that will also be accessed through client and applicant databases.

hope you can help
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can do 1 and 2 with filemaker. If you are looking at the manual. Look up relational databases. That should help you there. I don't know about item 3.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

How much money do you have? If you're flush with cash, it might be best to hire someone to do it for you.

FileMaker has a directory of consultants (AHHH!) at
http://filemaker.com/solutions/find_consultants.html

If you don't want to spend the money, or just want to do it yourself, you should try contacting a FileMaker users group.
http://www.filemaker.com/support/usergroups.html
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

thanks. I do want to learn and do it myself.

I'll check them out
QUOTE Thanks
Ryanstech

Filemaker can do just about anything you need it to. Like rman said 1 and 2 will be easy. As for 3 Filemaker can't fax itself but it is very useful for making the lists and merged documents for blastfaxes. I do it 40 times a day

As for the best way to learn... I learned on FileMaker 4.0 the basics just by reading the included book and playing around. Recently I had to brush up on FileMaker 6 and the book that comes with it is actually really good. If you need more help check this out: http://www.fmpro.org/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Question about RAM upgrades | ibook or eMac? »