New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Hi from a new MacBook owner

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matty-j

matty-j is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0Ghz, 2nd gen iPod shuffle, 5th gen iPod nano

Hello, I've just bought myself a new macbook (after waiting for anything new at MacWorld), and I'm loving it. I've been reading these forums for a few months now, as it's something I was planning to buy for quite a while now.

Anyhoo, I've been downloading various apps from various sites, some for fun, some for actual university work, and I've come across something that's caused a problem. There's a certain application that I could do with having on my mac for drawing chemical structures. I have found the mac version installer and downloaded it, but it tells me that after downloading I am to reconvert with Binhex 4.0 then run the installer.

Now, I've spent about 2 hours trying to figure out how to do this, and I've tried using stuffit expander which ends up not getting me any further. Does anyone know what I'm meant to do, if I've missed something out, or is it just not going to work?
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Welcome matty-j! There are a number of different ways to download and install applications. What is the application called?
QUOTE Thanks
matty-j

Thanks ,

It's MDL ISIS/draw, (mdli.com).

You have to register to be able to get to the downloads, but basically where you click the download link it says...

"NOTE: This version is no longer supported, but is still available for your use.

Reconvert with BinHex 4.0. Double-click on "ISIS 2.3 Draw Installer."

After it downloads I get the installer icon with a cross over it. I get "Safari can’t open the file “ISIS 2.3 Draw Installer” because no available application can open it." when I double click it.

Ahh, I've just found that it's format is .hqx so is this the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
macdave

macdave is on a distinguished road

ok im not sure but have you tried using Stuffit Expander or the unarchiver

http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftwar...e=samechandate

You should install these apps anyways as they handle lots of different file types.
QUOTE Thanks
matty-j

Thanks,

I've tried stuffit expander, but not the Unarchiver. I will download and try it now.

Don't really understand why it won't work, when it seems that it should work perfectly fine. If it doesn't work with the unarchiver, then I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Maybe because the company has not supported the mac version for a few years now, then the download might be faulty.

Right, thanks to the Unarchiver, it has opened! But now it tells me that it cannot run as the Classic environment is not supported.

I take this to mean pre OS X, and so it will not run on OS X?
QUOTE Thanks
kman445

kman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nicekman445 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 27" 5k imac i7, 295x

welcome to mac-forums, and congratulations on your new mac baby.

"I asked who i am to her, and she yelled god"
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

drh3010 is on a distinguished road

Make sure the software is supported on Mac OS X Intel chip.
QUOTE Thanks
matty-j

Thanks for the welcome kman445

I have no idea if it's going to be intel supported as it was something they released way before macs went to intel. There is absolutely nothing on the download page apart from telling me it's a .hqx file and that they no longer offer support for the mac software downloads, but they're still available for use.

No matter, I knew there'd be some things I'd have to go back to my windows desktop for.

Thanks to all who replied.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding Fonts To My Mac??? | Thinking of a Change and a Dilemma »