New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Installed Leopard - mac is slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

I installed leopard yesterday. Ever since my imac is running noticeably slower.
Opening my documents, even searching through my home folder is slower at responding.
I have more than the minimum spec for this OS. Is there anything I am missing here?

Failing that i'm going back to tiger. Leopard has some amazing features (coverflow for docs & stacks mainly) can anyone tell me how to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Did you do the basic upgrade from Tiger to Leopard? If so, almost everyone will tell you to back up your important files, re-insert the Leopard disc, and do an ERASE AND INSTALL. There were some parts of Tiger that were causing issues when upgraded to Leopard, and the erase and install seems to do the trick. It is, afterall, the cleanest way of installing an OS.

Once you do this, replace the backed up files and you're good to go.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

yeah, i did an upgrade. how do i make backups of my keychain items, firefox favourites, itunes playlists and widgets?
I have no idea where any of these are located.
QUOTE Thanks
pjhutch

pjhutch has a little shameless behaviour in the past

All your documents and settings are stored in \Users\<your username>, back up the entire contents of that and you should have everything you need.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhutch View Post
All your documents and settings are stored in \Users\<your username>, back up the entire contents of that and you should have everything you need.
My understanding is that it is best to archive and install if you are migrating from Tiger to Leopard. The added advantage is that your setting, files, and parameters are preserved. I have heard of very few people that haven't experienced some kind of problem that haven't updated in his manner. And as soon as they go back and archive and install, and install the new security updated, those problems go away.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Combing when watching through Apple's DVD Player | logitech laser »