New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Simple switcher question!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thebluemonkey

I have download a freeware on the net, the download is save on my desktop. I take the .dmg and put it in my app folder. Everytime that I use the freeware there's a new disk icon that appear on my desktop with the name of the on it!

What I'm doing wrong if this is happening?

Thank's for your support to a newcomer on mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemonkey
I have download a freeware on the net, the download is save on my desktop. I take the .dmg and put it in my app folder. Everytime that I use the freeware there's a new disk icon that appear on my desktop with the name of the on it!

What I'm doing wrong if this is happening?

Thank's for your support to a newcomer on mac!
The .dmg is a disk image. When you double click on it, it will "mount" to the desktop, and you'll see the actual application inside. It is this application that you want to copy to your HD (or it may even have an installer depending upon the program).

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
thebluemonkey

Thank's but when I try to copy the what so harddrive on my hd it only make a shortcut of it instead of copying it.

I didn't have an installer, the download was a .dmg.

So what's the problem!

Thank's for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

What was the download? Maybe if you tell us we can try it on our Macs and help you solve the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

download the .dmg from wherever...
double click..it mounts it
double click the mounted thing on the desktop
DRAG(not alias) the app from the mounted thing to your apps folder.

Simple!
QUOTE Thanks
thebluemonkey

the software is mac the ripper from mactheripper.com from versiontracker at:

http://versiontracker.com/php/search...macosx&x=0&y=0
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Great app, I'm downloading it as we speak

*ahem* Not that I'd ever use it for ripping DVDs or anything *ahem*. I've tried it and it works just fine for me. It's normal for a new icon to appear on your desktop when you use it, that's just fine. Don't worry about that.

Again, great app . It works fine for me. What exactly do you not want to happen?
QUOTE Thanks
thebluemonkey

To see a new hardrive (with the name of the app as the name of it) on my desktop everytime that I run the app, is it normal?
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

iaminvincible is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemonkey
To see a new hardrive (with the name of the app as the name of it) on my desktop everytime that I run the app, is it normal?
Thats not normal dude. to run the applicatoin u do not need to use the .dmg file. lets do this from the beginning. First, double click the .dmg file. Thats when u see a hard disk icon of MacTheRipper on the desktop. When you double click that icon, u will see two icons, one is MacTheRipper and the other is the ReadMe manual. Now, click on the MacTheRipper icon and drag it to your applications folder. Now, click on the hard disk icon of MacTheRipper on your desktop and eject it. Then go to your applications folder and you will see the MacTheRipper application there. double click that to use it. And trash the .dmg file after all this is done! This procedure applies to all .dmg files. I hope you get it now.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Yep - you do NOT need to open the dmg file any more, once you have dragged the app into the applications folder.

Think of it as a zip file... you open it, extract the program and that's all you need the zip/dmg file for...
QUOTE Thanks
thebluemonkey

Great everything works fine now!

Thank's a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Wow, I never knew that about the .dmg file! Thanks iaminvincible, you taught me something new!

And I'm glad everything works fine now thebluemonkey
QUOTE Thanks
iaminvincible

iaminvincible is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.16Ghz, 1GB ram

anytime guys! Here to help!

An apple a day keeps the doctor away...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Going to switch but need some help | Mac's Mail Program won't send a webpage »