New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Max OSX Leopard the missing manual

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

i was wondering if anyone has read any of these missing manual books. i was thinking of picking one up with a giftcard i have.
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

drh3010 is on a distinguished road

I bought the Leopard edition a few days ago. It's sweet. 900 pages
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I have the Tiger one and it was really helpful when I was starting out. I then kept it nearby as a reference tool.

If you're just starting out on Macs, I would highly recommend it. Worth its weight in gold.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I have the iPhone one, it's awesome, I definitely recommend the books.
QUOTE Thanks
digitalscrap

digitalscrap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD

I just picked up the Leopard the other day and it is really good - it is in my opinion a "must buy".
QUOTE Thanks
straycat

straycat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.

If you need the manual, then I recommend you buy it.

Scott Kilby's "Killer Secrets" is a must have book. The Leopard version should be out soon.

Semper Fi
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I have several titles from Missing manuals . Well written. Well worth it

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
Aqua

Aqua has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini

it doesn't give a preview but there are a few 'leopard' missing manuals at http://books.google.com/ - google books is great and also points you to the nearest library
but if you want to see what they tend to be like, just type in missing manual and click on one that has a preview available. The previews are quite good!

invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses
QUOTE Thanks
straycat

straycat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.

I reference and purchase my geek books from OReilly

Semper Fi
QUOTE Thanks
sharp65

sharp65 is on a distinguished road

I get access to thousands of computer related books online through school, I plan on buying a MBP in the coming months and "Mac OSX Leapord: The Missing Manual" by O'Reilly has been a great resource. It's defintely worth the read.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug in Alaska

Doug in Alaska is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac

I'm a new mac user and my wife bought it for me as a Christmas gift. So far it's been a life saver, awesome book! She also ordered 'iPhoto the Missing Manual' but it hadn't been released yet (Christmas time) so it's on back order. I can hardly wait until it shows up.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I understand a new Mac user would greatly benefit from this book. But what about one who knows quite a lot about OS X and a lot of the tricks already. Would that someone get a lot of use from these books.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know this, as do I cause I've never owned a OS X book. I've always been self, google and this forum taught.
QUOTE Thanks
safarisurfer

safarisurfer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13 inch 2012 Air

just picked it up today. its a biggie. really good so far. so much info i love it.
QUOTE Thanks
DocZ06

DocZ06 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
Scott Kilby's "Killer Secrets" is a must have book. The Leopard version should be out soon.
Agreed. I too am looking forward to the leopard edition.

De Oppresso Liber

iMac 24". 2.8GHz. 4GB. 1TB.
MBPro 15". Widescreen. 2.4GHz. 2GB. 160GB@7200.
QUOTE Thanks
GoKyu

GoKyu is on a distinguished road

I picked up my copy almost a month ago, and have since pretty much read through the entire thing. It's a great book to use for learning, but also really useful to keep near the computer as a reference manual as well.

My very first Mac (Mac Pro 2.8 octo) will be here on Friday, and I can't wait to turn my current PC (no slouch at all, but I'm just tired of it - and it runs XP, *not* Vista) into something a lot more useful - a Linux fileserver

I'm also looking forward to getting "Switching to a Mac - Leopard Edition", which is supposed to be out in early February....

-Bryan

"Der Herrgott nimmt, der Herrgott gibt,
Doch gibt er nur dem, den er auch liebt?"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 3 month old iMac- mouse not scrolling | macbook ? »