New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OK; it's running, now what?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Albert Reeder

Albert Reeder is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro with oodles of memory

I have my new MacPro up and running, but......... it is a whole new world out there. For 21 years I have learned the windows system and I am lost with OS X. Is there a place to go, or buy a book that would have comands converted for the PC to Mac? Like with the PC I can go to My Computer and find all of my drives listed there and how big each drive is and the free space. A book that would give the PC comand and then where to go on the Mac to get the same results would REALLY help me.
Any direction you can advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

There is a new Leopard book out Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual

Also check out the stickies on the switchers forum,

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/

and come here for anything else
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

When I started out with my Mac, these two sites were of great help:

Switch 101

Mac 101

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
drh3010

drh3010 is on a distinguished road

I bought an iMac a few weeks ago.

Here's a book I don't recommend: Max OS X 10.5 Leopard by Robin Williams. It's not in depth enough for an experienced computer user.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Having been around when IBM launched it's very first pc (I had one of the 'up-market' ones with TWO 5 1/4" floppy drives!) I changed to my imac just a few months ago. The move has been almost too smooth to believe. I hung around here reading the stickies and checking out the posts for a few weeks. At first it was like learning a foreign language but once my mac arrived everything just fell into place. Sure there are things I'm not doing as slickly as I think I should be able to so one day I'll buy the Missing Manual book but for now I'm just loving it and would never go back.

I'm too much of a newbie to offer any great meaningful advice but I would say just enjoy the new experience and don't get too hung up on pc ways of doing things.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
riscy

riscy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP

^^ I agree, just get your feet wet.

Unlike PCs you are VERY unlikely to mess anything up on MacOS, so just experiment and post a problem here if it pops up (if you cannot find the answer already posted ).

"I've go too much energy to switch off my mind, and not enough to get myself organised." The the
Try using BootPicker with BootCamp
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

It takes a little time and patience, just like it did when you were first learning to operate in a Windows environment. But it will come. The operating system is very intuitive. For me, learning the ins and outs a little at a time is part of the fun. The help features are fantastic.

For me, the biggest habit that I have to change is putting my Mac to sleep, rather than shutting everything down at the end of the day.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
bubba

bubba has a spectacular aura about

MyFirstMac
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

When I got my MBP last July, I didn't need a book. I just got on it and was surprised at how easy it was to use and do things. Like when I used a PC, I still don't use half the stuff on my MBP but that's ok. Just use your MacPro. If I don't know how to do something, I google it, always been able to find an answer. I even found out how to format a DVD using terminal. Very cool stuff.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
Albert Reeder

Albert Reeder is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro with oodles of memory

thanks to all for the info. It may take awhile but i will get there.
I just put in 4 gb of memory and 750 gb of hard drives and all seem to be going OK
Al
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

If you have any questions you can not find the answers to, feel free to ask here and we will all do our best to help.
QUOTE Thanks
traveler09

traveler09 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Imac 24 Inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
There is a new Leopard book out Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual

Also check out the stickies on the switchers forum,

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

and come here for anything else
Good book. I got it yesterday. B & N did not have it in the store a week ago even. Good stuff in this book.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mac Owner - Need your helps - Thanks | how many RAM slots on an iMac? »