Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Icarus
    password protected programs
    so I don't really trust my room mate. And so I've come into the habit of password protecting my computer in general - things that I thought were a waste of time at home, I really use now. (authenticate from screensaver ect) but in the event that I forget to close the lid, he could get into my computer.

So now I'm looking for a way that makes selected programs useless without a password -

how do I do this? I'd like to password protected word, excel and ichat - how do I do this?

I already looked on versiontracker, there wasn't anything there worth getting that I found...

so any suggestions?

LClark1L
    How about telling your roomate not to use your computer, first. The simplest things are sometimes the most effective.

Icarus
    but see, I don't KNOW he's using the computer - I only have theories.

Besides, that's no fun!

LClark1L
    I'm just sayin'...

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    I don't know whether there's a way to password-protect individual applications, but you can easily set up your machine so that it requires a password at login, when waking from sleep, and to deactivate the screen saver. You could then simply log out, or put the machine to sleep when you leave it, and you could also set the screen saver to activate after a few minutes as added security.

I actually just checked out MacUpdate, and there are a number of programs on there that might be useful for you. Search for "password", and you should find them.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    One thing you can do is make a user that has no permissions to the apps you want protected, and use that account when you do things not involving those apps in times when you know the book will be exposed to your room mate

vuschejan
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    One thing you can do is make a user that has no permissions to the apps you want protected, and use that account when you do things not involving those apps in times when you know the book will be exposed to your room mate
    A camera hidden in like the room...

Icarus
    I would make a different account that doesn't let you use certain programs and files except that the programs I wouldn't want him to open are the same programs that I use the most - Proteus and Safari.

Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
    Why doesn't your roommate have his own computer? Just password the screensaver and set a hot corner.

Icarus
    oh, he does have his own computer - though I feel that he's extra nosy. (though perhaps I am just paranoid and bored.)

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Right, you'll need an isight, a large harddrive and some sort of laser beam,...
    *oops, I always get a bit carried away with this sort of thing...

Icarus
    so this is how I solved it - I made a password protected disk image and put the program that I want to protect in there - and then when I click on 'safari' on the dock, (assuming that the disk image isn't already open) it asks for my password.

Anybody have a more efficent way?

iSheep
    Put your apps into your Home folder and use FileFault?

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by gort
    Just password the screensaver and set a hot corner.
    Exactly. This seems like the easiest and most logical way. Why bother moving around applications and creating hidden/protected folders? Set the machine to require a password when starting up, waking from sleep, and returning from the screen saver. Extremely simple, and then the entire computer is protected, no just a few select applications.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Icarus
    I'm am such randomly paranoid that I have the programs passworded, the start up passworded, the screen saver password AND I have a hot corner set for the screensaver. AND the passwords are all different. Sheesh...I make myself work way to hard for such little gratifucation...

Thread Information